The second amendment

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
User avatar
nolaxride
Global Moderator
Posts: 29294
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by nolaxride » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 pm

Shred wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm
Either you insanely advocate unlimited unrestricted ownership of all forms of weaponry (including nuclear) however useless it may be in day to day life, or you advocate some controls.

Controls do not have to mean a complete and total ban that disarms everyone.

If you believe some weaponry should not be in the hands of civilians then you are not alone.

If you believe that an AR15 is unnecessary for home defence, you are not alone.

A shotgun, whether double barrelled or pump action is the best option for close range self defence in a situation where you need to use a gun for self defence.

If you are into target shooting and want a good range rifle, by all means get one, in any calibre.

But if you want a self defence weapon, there's nothing better than a shotgun.
Shotguns don't kill the neighbors like an AR 15 will when you miss.
1 x
-- Ο Μπάρι είναι ηλίθιος

User avatar
lust4beer
Soldier
Posts: 9865
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by lust4beer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:13 pm

Shred wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 am
In most places you're not allowed to shoot anything and would be killed by the Police.

Lots of Americans have planes.
Dropping Napalm on people would get you in bother though wouldn't it?

Your constitution was written in a different era an era when common soldiers and militia men were equal.

Nowadays the government has tanks, helicopter gunships, fighter bombers armoured personnel carriers, there's no way a civilian not even with a militia could match that capability.

If your government were to go rogue you wouldn't stop it.

And were you to be robbed it would probably happen when you are out.
I noticed your country doesn’t have many if any mass shootings

I wonder why?
2 x
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

:kneeface:

User avatar
barrysoetoro
Consigliere
Posts: 64699
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by barrysoetoro » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:16 pm

lust4beer wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:13 pm
Shred wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 am
In most places you're not allowed to shoot anything and would be killed by the Police.

Lots of Americans have planes.
Dropping Napalm on people would get you in bother though wouldn't it?

Your constitution was written in a different era an era when common soldiers and militia men were equal.

Nowadays the government has tanks, helicopter gunships, fighter bombers armoured personnel carriers, there's no way a civilian not even with a militia could match that capability.

If your government were to go rogue you wouldn't stop it.

And were you to be robbed it would probably happen when you are out.
I noticed your country doesn’t have many if any mass shootings

I wonder why?
No XXXX or xxxx like here, dummy

Hispanics or blacks.

Chicago has the strictest gun laws and mass shootings every weekend, dummy

Cluster Chuck owns guns.
0 x

Shred
Associate
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by Shred » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:36 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm
So you agree there are limits, gun controls, required in our society?

And tell me, what happens if the 5.56 doesn't hit anything to start the tumble? Would you believe a Vietnam vet writing in the American Thinker?

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... am_ki.html

To quote the conclusion, "The lethality of the 5.56mm cartridge, sold on lies, cannot be fixed in truth. It is time the Department of Defense recognizes this 'Big Lie' from the Vietnam War and in the names of MSgt Kevin N. Morehead and SFC William M. Bennett replaces this varmint cartridge with one that gives our warriors that critical capability described by SFC Paul Howe above——one—round knockdown power!"
Our soldiers in Afghanistan were finding inadequacies with the SA80 (developed from the AR18) a 5.56mm rifle designed to NATO standards.
They had problems with range and lethality.
As a result Lewis Machine and Tool Company of the USA were contracted to make a 7.62mm NATO calibre rifle to supplement British forces in Afghanistan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Mac ... ol_Company

I grant you, it looks like an AR-15 but it's more like an AR-10 or the old SLR, in fact the old SLR would have done the job.

The .223 / 5.56mm concept is indeed a flawed concept.
0 x
Everything from a knife to a nuke constitutes arms, nobody ever complains they can't openly carry a bazooka or drive around with an ICBM.

User avatar
barrysoetoro
Consigliere
Posts: 64699
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by barrysoetoro » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm

donttreadonme wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 pm
Shred wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 pm
Better give him some more facts then. Joe Biden has indicated that he would prefer it if people bought shotguns instead of "assault rifles".

Image

Image

These are pretty effective shotguns.
There's no better option for home protection than a shotgun.

There are some nice ones out there.

What's the integral of a derivative? I thought you were this educated latte sipping liberal?
0 x

Shred
Associate
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by Shred » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:16 pm
Chicago has the strictest gun laws and mass shootings every weekend, dummy
Chicago's laws are nothing compared to my country's laws.
0 x
Everything from a knife to a nuke constitutes arms, nobody ever complains they can't openly carry a bazooka or drive around with an ICBM.

User avatar
barrysoetoro
Consigliere
Posts: 64699
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by barrysoetoro » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm

Shred wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm
barrysoetoro wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:16 pm
Chicago has the strictest gun laws and mass shootings every weekend, dummy
Chicago's laws are nothing compared to my country's laws.
You keep insisting your country's gun laws are slack.
0 x

Shred
Associate
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by Shred » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm
donttreadonme wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 pm
Shred wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 pm
Better give him some more facts then. Joe Biden has indicated that he would prefer it if people bought shotguns instead of "assault rifles".

Image

Image

These are pretty effective shotguns.
There's no better option for home protection than a shotgun.

There are some nice ones out there.

What's the integral of a derivative? I thought you were this educated latte sipping liberal?
Liberal yes, educated yes, latte ? Bleurgh.
Depending on my mood (and what time of day it is) hot chocolate / fruit juice / real ale / malt whisky.

And, I like guns.
I like shooting things with guns.

My grandfather owned a 12 bore shotgun.
I've thought about getting a safe and a shotgun certificate and shooting that gun.
But it's a lot of money for a certificate I don't need and wouldn't use most of the time.

So I shoot my air rifles a .22 Crosman a .177 Crossman and a .177 BSA Ultra SE (BSA is Birmingham Small Arms, and BSA used to make .303 Lee Enfield service rifles at one time).
I don't need a licence to shoot air guns.

But there's nothing wrong with having controls on some of the more powerful weapons that are out there.

If I wanted to shoot a .303 Lee Enfield, I'd have to join a gun club, and prove myself worthy of having one.
0 x
Everything from a knife to a nuke constitutes arms, nobody ever complains they can't openly carry a bazooka or drive around with an ICBM.

Shred
Associate
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by Shred » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm
You keep insisting your country's gun laws are slack.
Nope I keep insisting our "ARMS" laws are slack.
There's a difference between "ARMS" and "guns".

"ARMS" which your constitution refers to covers everything from a Sgian Dubh dagger to a Trident Intercontinental Nuclear Missile.

We are allowed to keep some "arms". We're allowed recurve bows, long bows, compound bows, crossbows, leafspring crossbows, compound crossbows, air guns, catapults, swords (with a few caveats), knives (with caveats) and the means to get a licence for firearms and shotguns (shotguns and muskets have different permits to rifles).

You are not allowed hand grenades, mortar bombs, anti tank missiles, bombs, or nuclear bombs, ergo, there are controls on arms in your country, your constitutional rights are curtailed by common sense, to a point.

It's not for me to tell you how far to go, but it is for me to say, you might want to have a think...
0 x
Everything from a knife to a nuke constitutes arms, nobody ever complains they can't openly carry a bazooka or drive around with an ICBM.

User avatar
barrysoetoro
Consigliere
Posts: 64699
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: The second amendment

Post by barrysoetoro » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 pm

Shred wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 pm
barrysoetoro wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm
donttreadonme wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 pm
Shred wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 pm
Better give him some more facts then. Joe Biden has indicated that he would prefer it if people bought shotguns instead of "assault rifles".

Image

Image

These are pretty effective shotguns.
There's no better option for home protection than a shotgun.

There are some nice ones out there.

What's the integral of a derivative? I thought you were this educated latte sipping liberal?
Liberal yes, educated yes, latte ? Bleurgh.
Depending on my mood (and what time of day it is) hot chocolate / fruit juice / real ale / malt whisky.

And, I like guns.
I like shooting things with guns.

My grandfather owned a 12 bore shotgun.
I've thought about getting a safe and a shotgun certificate and shooting that gun.
But it's a lot of money for a certificate I don't need and wouldn't use most of the time.

So I shoot my air rifles a .22 Crosman a .177 Crossman and a .177 BSA Ultra SE (BSA is Birmingham Small Arms, and BSA used to make .303 Lee Enfield service rifles at one time).
I don't need a licence to shoot air guns.

But there's nothing wrong with having controls on some of the more powerful weapons that are out there.

If I wanted to shoot a .303 Lee Enfield, I'd have to join a gun club, and prove myself worthy of having one.
I was talking to don.
0 x

Post Reply