Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:48 am
chucky wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:15 am
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 am
Associated Press Published 8:51 a.m. ET May 25, 2018

Detroit – Fiat Chrysler is recalling 4.8 million vehicles in the U.S. because in rare circumstances, drivers may not be able to turn off the cruise control.

The company is warning owners not to use cruise control until the cars, SUVs and trucks can be fixed with a software update.

The recall includes 15 Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and Ram models from six model years. Models in other countries also are affected.

Fiat Chrysler says the condition can occur if the cruise control accelerates at the same time an electrical short-circuit happens. But the brakes are designed to overpower the engine and the vehicles could still be stopped. Shifting into park would cancel the cruise.

The problem was found in testing. FCA says it has no reports of crashes or injuries.

----------

Six model years? One would think they would have found this before six years passed. :lo2l:
A rare defect in such electronic systems might not present until several years of use . Since there were no injuries and the brakes can overpower the engine it isn’t a bad problem ,unlike a new car that has brakes that don’t work well and was quickly discovered in basic testing by a third party consumer testing company.
Oh it's a bad problem.
Luckily it is rare and can be overcome. The cars should be recalled and fixes made if necessary.
Can be doesn't mean will be. It's good they are recalling them to fix them. That's life in automotive.
It is. Electrical problems were far less of a problem in cars from the 60s and 70s which were simpler and more mechanical.
I'm not so sure that's true. Despite have fewer electronic components they were much more crude than today's. Easier to dx and fix though.
Back then you could start and run a manual transmission car with a dead battery or a broken alternator by pushing it or rolling it down a hill.
Yep. I owned a couple of vehicles from the early 70's and never had one that didn't have electrical problems.
Not hard to fix. Just replace the part. By the mid 80s most of those cars weren’t worth anything . You would just go buy another one for 300 bucks if you couldn’t fix it. The 6 cylinder ones without air were the best and easiest to work on.
As much as we all complain about the quality of American 70s, 80s, and 90s cars, I had a 77 Chevy Malibu that had over 300k miles on it when I totaled it.
0 x
-- Ignotum per inotius

evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Re: Fiat Chrysler warns 4.8M owners: Don’t use the cruise

Post by evilconempire » Fri May 25, 2018 10:37 pm

chucky wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:49 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm
chucky wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:40 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm
chucky wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:59 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm
chucky wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:48 am
chucky wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:15 am
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 am
Associated Press Published 8:51 a.m. ET May 25, 2018

Detroit – Fiat Chrysler is recalling 4.8 million vehicles in the U.S. because in rare circumstances, drivers may not be able to turn off the cruise control.

The company is warning owners not to use cruise control until the cars, SUVs and trucks can be fixed with a software update.

The recall includes 15 Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and Ram models from six model years. Models in other countries also are affected.

Fiat Chrysler says the condition can occur if the cruise control accelerates at the same time an electrical short-circuit happens. But the brakes are designed to overpower the engine and the vehicles could still be stopped. Shifting into park would cancel the cruise.

The problem was found in testing. FCA says it has no reports of crashes or injuries.

----------

Six model years? One would think they would have found this before six years passed. :lo2l:
A rare defect in such electronic systems might not present until several years of use . Since there were no injuries and the brakes can overpower the engine it isn’t a bad problem ,unlike a new car that has brakes that don’t work well and was quickly discovered in basic testing by a third party consumer testing company.
Oh it's a bad problem.
Luckily it is rare and can be overcome. The cars should be recalled and fixes made if necessary.
Can be doesn't mean will be. It's good they are recalling them to fix them. That's life in automotive.
It is. Electrical problems were far less of a problem in cars from the 60s and 70s which were simpler and more mechanical.
I'm not so sure that's true. Despite have fewer electronic components they were much more crude than today's. Easier to dx and fix though.
Back then you could start and run a manual transmission car with a dead battery or a broken alternator by pushing it or rolling it down a hill.
Yep. I owned a couple of vehicles from the early 70's and never had one that didn't have electrical problems.
Not hard to fix. Just replace the part. By the mid 80s most of those cars weren’t worth anything . You would just go buy another one for 300 bucks if you couldn’t fix it. The 6 cylinder ones without air were the best and easiest to work on.
Right. Like I said, "Easier to dx and fix though." It was the mid-80's when I owned mine. They were good first cars.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech: