Captured in my attic

Pet or animal stories
Pete
Site Admin

Captured in my attic

Post by Pete » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 am

I thought it was going to be a squirrel. There will be no more live traps. Alluha Akbar to the critters!

0 x
"I like my coffee like I like my women: hot, black, and with a piece of prune Danish" Gilbert Gottfried

Pete
Site Admin

Re: Captured in my attic

Post by Pete » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:34 pm

I have read a couple articles that said relocated squirrels don't do well in their new environment and, in fact, most of them die. Not sure if that's true but at least I give them a sporting chance.

I always thought squirrels were more resilient
0 x
"I like my coffee like I like my women: hot, black, and with a piece of prune Danish" Gilbert Gottfried

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by chucky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Pete wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:34 pm
I have read a couple articles that said relocated squirrels don't do well in their new environment and, in fact, most of them die. Not sure if that's true but at least I give them a sporting chance.

When you relocate them they do not know their new territory. They lose their food stores and may end up in conflict with other squirrels.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

chucky wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51 pm
Pete wrote:

When you relocate them they do not know their new territory. They lose their food stores and may end up in conflict with other squirrels.
sons of bitches are tearing up my house so it's either catch and release or a gunshot
0 x

JDDJR
Nobility

Post by JDDJR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Pete wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm
chucky wrote:
Pete wrote:

sons of bitches are tearing up my house so it's either catch and release or a gunshot
Damn them Georgia rats are big...
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 am
I thought it was going to be a squirrel. There will be no more live traps. Alluha Akbar to the critters!

hmm... and it's still alive?
0 x
-- Ignotum per inotius

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by chucky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Pete wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm
chucky wrote:
Pete wrote:

It might be more humane to hit them in the head with a .22 hollow point.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 am

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 pm
Pete wrote:

I suppose I should have drowned it but I wanted to have some fun. I released it in the middle of a WalMart parking lot and after it scampered toward an island a hawk dropped down out of a tree and although I didnt see the rat get captured, I watched the hawk wade thru the low groundcover with his wings partially outstretched and head cocked to the side so he could hear the rat. I had to get back to my life so thats the last time I saw Ricky Rat
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 am

Pete wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 am
nolaxride wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 pm
Pete wrote:

I suppose I should have drowned it but I wanted to have some fun. I released it in the middle of a WalMart parking lot and after it scampered toward an island a hawk dropped down out of a tree and although I didnt see the rat get captured, I watched the hawk wade thru the low groundcover with his wings partially outstretched and head cocked to the side so he could hear the rat. I had to get back to my life so thats the last time I saw Ricky Rat
letting nature take care of its own. that's appropriate.
0 x
-- Ignotum per inotius