Will history repeat itself?

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
nolaxride
Global Moderator

Will history repeat itself?

Post by nolaxride » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Does another remember the Great Depression?

How about the Smoot-Hawley Act?

Looks like our president is about to make the same mistake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

And for those who don't remember the Smoot-Hawley bill, here's a little reminder...

https://www.economist.com/node/12798595
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Re: Will history repeat itself?

Post by thelionofthenorth » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Of course it will. Republicans always place their religious beliefs above historical fact, and tRump isn't smart enough for either.
0 x
Stupidity deserves no pity.

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Let's look at just a few areas where sanctions against China aren't a good idea.

let's start with GM. They sell 70 percent MORE cars in China than it does in the US. Caterpillar is also selling a ton of equipment in China. And then you have retailers like Walmart who are going to have to cover that tariff, prices go up.

And what US exports to China get hurt? The American farmer. 40 billion dollars in farm products. Do you really hate the American farmer? That's who gets hurt the most in a trade war.
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Post by thelionofthenorth » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm
Let's look at just a few areas where sanctions against China aren't a good idea.

let's start with GM. They sell 70 percent MORE cars in China than it does in the US. Caterpillar is also selling a ton of equipment in China. And then you have retailers like Walmart who are going to have to cover that tariff, prices go up.

And what US exports to China get hurt? The American farmer. 40 billion dollars in farm products. Do you really hate the American farmer? That's who gets hurt the most in a trade war.
My in-laws are all American small farmers: they all voted tRump.

SO far, I've managed to refrain from saying, "you asked for it, suckers", but it's getting tough.
0 x
Stupidity deserves no pity.

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am

thelionofthenorth wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 pm
nolaxride wrote:

SO far, I've managed to refrain from saying, "you asked for it, suckers", but it's getting tough.
They've been doing well over the last decade. The Bush ethanol debacle raised the prices of all produce, especially corn. Then there was the GOP mantra. Free trade. And no one like free trade more than a farmer. And now the president is going to endanger that, too.

Consider, the president is going to slap tariffs on our largest agricultural trading partner. $30 billion in ag trade. And those are all products China can buy elsewhere.
0 x

barrysoetoro
Get in my Belly!

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:15 am

Oh, yeah. The two liberal modulator xxxx going at it again. Let's look at the last time we tried it YOUR way:
obamafail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
☪ Because I respected him [McCain '08] and felt he was better qualified for the job [than my hero 0bama], evilcommie

barrysoetoro
Get in my Belly!

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 am

nolaxride wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am
thelionofthenorth wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 pm
nolaxride wrote:

They've been doing well over the last decade. The Bush ethanol debacle raised the prices of all produce, especially corn. Then there was the GOP mantra. Free trade. And no one like free trade more than a farmer. And now the president is going to endanger that, too.

Consider, the president is going to slap tariffs on our largest agricultural trading partner. $30 billion in ag trade. And those are all products China can buy elsewhere.
COME AGAIN, DID BUSH HAVE 44 MILLION ON FOOD STAMPS AND THE LOWEST ECONOMIC RECOVERY SINCE WORLD WAR II? NO YOUR ASSHOLE HERO 0BAMA DID, SO SHUT THE F#CK UP!!!!!!!!
0 x
☪ Because I respected him [McCain '08] and felt he was better qualified for the job [than my hero 0bama], evilcommie

barrysoetoro
Get in my Belly!

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 am

thelionofthenorth wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm
Of course it will. Republicans always place their religious beliefs above historical fact, and tRump isn't smart enough for either.
lyin3.jpg

Yeah, you said it you dick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

barrysoetoro
Get in my Belly!

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 am

nolaxride wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:30 pm
Does another remember the Great Depression?

How about the Smoot-Hawley Act?

Looks like our president is about to make the same mistake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

And for those who don't remember the Smoot-Hawley bill, here's a little reminder...

https://www.economist.com/node/12798595
So we should have flat economies instead of boom/bust. Take your pick.

Oh, and I made a TON when we had the housing boom. So, you think it's better that all those people who made money and had jobs during that time would have been better off unemployed the whole time instead, since they wouldnt' have been hired in the first place . Got it. (psst. they wouldn't have a job if there was no boom, dummy).

You are a dumb $#@%.

1990's dot com boom! I did well. Then I lost my job and had a hard time. gee, just imagine if we didn't have that boom. According to you I would be better off never having a job in the first place...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Think about it, xxxx.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 am

They all love China now lol. Funny how that happened

:lo2l:
0 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling