DJIA Going Bananas, eh?

How do you think we are doing?
Pete
Site Admin

DJIA Going Bananas, eh?

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 am

0 x
I like my coffee like I like my women: hot, black, and with a piece of prune Danish. Gilbert Gottfried

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Re: DJIA Going Bananas, eh?

Post by nolaxride » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:11 pm

It's all about context.

“Crossing the 26,000 “milestone” only requires a 4 percent gain from the 25,000 ‘milestone,’ Wiener said. “If it does so today, in just seven trading days, that may be the fastest crossing ever, yes. But put into context the Dow has risen 4 percent or more over seven trading days 110 times since the market bottomed in March 2009.”
1 x
-- Ignotum per inotius

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Its still good tho, right?
0 x
I like my coffee like I like my women: hot, black, and with a piece of prune Danish. Gilbert Gottfried

evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Post by evilconempire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:18 pm

0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Pete wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm
No disputing that. I'm just wondering when it's time to bail. We all know what happens to things that go up. The other issue is that when it does fall, people are going to panic. The average correction in the market is 10 percent. Today that means 2,000 points. There's a psychological thing to a 2,000 point drop
0 x
-- Ignotum per inotius

DallasDimeBags
Heir Apparent

Post by DallasDimeBags » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am

nolaxride wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:24 pm
Pete wrote:
No disputing that. I'm just wondering when it's time to bail. We all know what happens to things that go up. The other issue is that when it does fall, people are going to panic. The average correction in the market is 10 percent. Today that means 2,000 points. There's a psychological thing to a 2,000 point drop
The what goes up must come down doesn't apply to the stock market IMO (more specifically the DJIA) the way it does with other things. Yes it goes up and down but over time it has always gone back up again higher and while that could change I suppose, I think its more likely that the historical pattern continues. However even my financial guy said that the DJIA NEEDED a 10% correction. I have along the lines of a 5 to 9 year time frame before I am planing on needing to get into the 401K money. I would be very interested in having a section of this forum where those posters who are investors give their thoughts on investing,individual stocks,funds,strategies etc without the regular namecalling,amusement and mockery that is such a part of most of the forum. -Are you one of the 131 Thousand or so 401K millionaires that this current over 8 year bull market has helped create? If so congratulations. I hope that you either get out before it dips below the million mark or that you stay in and it goes back up over time as it has throughout history.
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 am

DallasDimeBags wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am
nolaxride wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:24 pm
Pete wrote:
The what goes up must come down doesn't apply to the stock market IMO (more specifically the DJIA) the way it does with other things. Yes it goes up and down but over time it has always gone back up again higher and while that could change I suppose, I think its more likely that the historical pattern continues. However even my financial guy said that the DJIA NEEDED a 10% correction. I have along the lines of a 5 to 9 year time frame before I am planing on needing to get into the 401K money. I would be very interested in having a section of this forum where those posters who are investors give their thoughts on investing,individual stocks,funds,strategies etc without the regular namecalling,amusement and mockery that is such a part of most of the forum. -Are you one of the 131 Thousand or so 401K millionaires that this current over 8 year bull market has helped create? If so congratulations. I hope that you either get out before it dips below the million mark or that you stay in and it goes back up over time as it has throughout history.
Good point and a valid question. I'd enjoy a section of this board that wasn't consistently pulled into the mud. Investing is only one of the topics that I'd be interested in.
2 x
-- Ignotum per inotius