Man buys new home; land owner blocks him from entering

DIY, Rehabs, Restorations, etc
Pete
Site Admin

Man buys new home; land owner blocks him from entering

Post by Pete » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 am

BARTOW COUNTY, Ga. - A Bartow County man said he bought a house only to find out he doesn't own the land it sits on.

Now he says the people who do own the property won't let him access the house for which he is paying.

Local law enforcement officials have even gotten involved once already, but they told Channel 2’s Matt Johnson the bitter land dispute likely has to be resolved in court.

Jordan Marshall and his wife were ready to own their first home after the arrival of their child, now 7 months old.

“Me and my wife were really excited to have a place to call ours,” Marshall told Johnson. “I feel helpless.”

He showed Johnson the paperwork that proves the house off Highway 20 in Bartow County is his.

But almost 90 percent of the house and the driveway are on someone else's property.

Marshall said that property owner knocked over trees and built a dirt wall in front of the driveway.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/bartow- ... /502711085
0 x
Nemo me impune lacessit

brookboy123
Majesty

Post by brookboy123 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 am

Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 am
BARTOW COUNTY, Ga. - A Bartow County man said he bought a house only to find out he doesn't own the land it sits on.

Now he says the people who do own the property won't let him access the house for which he is paying.

Local law enforcement officials have even gotten involved once already, but they told Channel 2’s Matt Johnson the bitter land dispute likely has to be resolved in court.

Jordan Marshall and his wife were ready to own their first home after the arrival of their child, now 7 months old.

“Me and my wife were really excited to have a place to call ours,” Marshall told Johnson. “I feel helpless.”

He showed Johnson the paperwork that proves the house off Highway 20 in Bartow County is his.

But almost 90 percent of the house and the driveway are on someone else's property.

Marshall said that property owner knocked over trees and built a dirt wall in front of the driveway.

Doesn't one get a title search to avoid such situations?
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 am

brookboy123 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 am
Pete wrote:

No kidding. Title insurance or something.

Being the stubborn sob I am I'd buy 4WD vehicles equipped with chainsaws and go thru the woods every day.

i wonder what the fire marshal thinks about limited access to the dwelling?
0 x
Nemo me impune lacessit

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 am
brookboy123 wrote:
Pete wrote:

Being the stubborn sob I am I'd buy 4WD vehicles equipped with chainsaws and go thru the woods every day.

I image the landowner isn't going to be happy if the fire department can't access the property.

More to the point, how did the guy get a mortgage? a mortgage without a land survey and a title report? seriously?
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm
Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 am
brookboy123 wrote:
Pete wrote:

I image the landowner isn't going to be happy if the fire department can't access the property.

More to the point, how did the guy get a mortgage? a mortgage without a land survey and a title report? seriously?

crazy chit indeed. I think the backstory is that there are other residential dwellings on the land all belonging to members of the same family, and they were upset that the seller (a family member) sold the dwelling to an outsider.

my wife and I have recently shopped along that same road (GA 20) for a new crib. glad we didn't step in that mess
0 x
Nemo me impune lacessit

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am

seems like this could be settled quickly if the new owners argue "easement by necessity" in court

http://realestate.findlaw.com/land-use- ... ments.html
0 x
Nemo me impune lacessit