Falstaff2
Courtier

Re: Three coats base coat, 4 coats clear

Post by Falstaff2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:55 am
Falstaff2 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 am
Dropped valve seats often result from the engine overheating and warping the head Mr Pete. A really good shop will re peen the seats or replace them and then grind them. A dropped seat can destroy the entire engine.
I've read article after article on the support forums and it seems this Ford engine had a propensity of dropping valve seats, and almost always #4. I saw it happen twice.

My engine head and everything else in the current engine is completely rebuilt and further valve droppage is unlikely
I guess I got away from engine work before your engine was in Fords Mr Pete. I have repaired a few Nissans and Mitsubishis with dropped seats and some had several pistons and cylinders destroyed. When the loose seat held the valve down it hit the piston, broke and then moved over into the adjacent cylinder. Count your blessings.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Falstaff2 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm
Pete wrote:
Falstaff2 wrote:
Dropped valve seats often result from the engine overheating and warping the head Mr Pete. A really good shop will re peen the seats or replace them and then grind them. A dropped seat can destroy the entire engine.
I've read article after article on the support forums and it seems this Ford engine had a propensity of dropping valve seats, and almost always #4. I saw it happen twice.

My engine head and everything else in the current engine is completely rebuilt and further valve droppage is unlikely
I guess I got away from engine work before your engine was in Fords Mr Pete. I have repaired a few Nissans and Mitsubishis with dropped seats and some had several pistons and cylinders destroyed. When the loose seat held the valve down it hit the piston, broke and then moved over into the adjacent cylinder. Count your blessings.
Oh i didnt feel blessed. Two wrecked engines
0 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 pm
Falstaff2 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm
Pete wrote:
Falstaff2 wrote:

Oh i didnt feel blessed. Two wrecked engines
Nothing like the sound of losing a valve...
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx