Miami's Fight Against Rising Sea Levels

Are you a Gorebot? A Denier? Let's mix it up here and figure this issue out!
nolaxride
Global Moderator

Re: Miami's Fight Against Rising Sea Levels

Post by nolaxride » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:25 pm

chucky wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:02 am
evilconempire wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:40 am
By Amanda Ruggeri

The first time my father’s basement flooded, it was shortly after he moved in. The building was an ocean-front high-rise in a small city north of Miami called Sunny Isles Beach. The marble lobby had a waterfall that never stopped running; crisp-shirted valets parked your car for you. For the residents who lived in the more lavish flats, these cars were often BMWs and Mercedes. But no matter their value, the cars all wound up in the same place: the basement.

When I called, I’d ask my dad how the building was doing. “The basement flooded again a couple weeks ago,” he’d sometimes say. Or: “It’s getting worse.” It’s not only his building: he’s also driven through a foot of water on a main road a couple of towns over and is used to tiptoeing around pools in the local supermarket’s car park.

Ask nearly anyone in the Miami area about flooding and they’ll have an anecdote to share. Many will also tell you that it’s happening more and more frequently. The data backs them up.

It’s easy to think that the only communities suffering from sea level rise are far-flung and remote. And while places like the Solomon Islands and Kiribati are indeed facing particularly dramatic challenges, they aren’t the only ones being forced to grapple with the issue. Sea levels are rising around the world, and in the US, south Florida is ground zero – as much for the adaptation strategies it is attempting as for the risk that it bears.

One reason is that water levels here are rising especially quickly. The most frequently-used range of estimates puts the likely range between 15-25cm (6-10in) above 1992 levels by 2030, and 79-155cm (31-61in) by 2100. With tides higher than they have been in decades – and far higher than when this swampy, tropical corner of the US began to be drained and built on a century ago – many of south Florida’s drainage systems and seawalls are no longer enough. That means not only more flooding, but challenges for the infrastructure that residents depend on every day, from septic tanks to wells. “The consequences of sea level rise are going to occur way before the high tide reaches your doorstep,” says William Sweet, an oceanographer at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The flooding would be a challenge for any community, but it poses particular risks here. One recent report estimated that Miami has the most to lose in terms of financial assets of any coastal city in the world, just above Guangzhou, China and New York City. This 120-mile (193km) corridor running up the coast from Homestead to Jupiter – taking in major cities like Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach – is the eighth most populous metropolitan area in the US. It’s also booming. In 2015, the US Census Bureau found that the population of all three counties here was growing – along with the rest of Florida – at around 8%, roughly twice the pace of the US average. Recent studies have shown that Florida has more residents at risk from climate change than any other US state.

(edited for length) Lots of data in the article
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017040 ... level-rise

-----------

someone should let them know that this is a good thing.
The coast shifts all the time . There are frequent storms and if you live right on the ocean or on land that use to be swamps that are below sea level you are going to get flooded. It's just common sense not to build on such areas.
I see. So the ocean is not rising?
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:25 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
By Amanda Ruggeri

The first time my father’s basement flooded, it was shortly after he moved in. The building was an ocean-front high-rise in a small city north of Miami called Sunny Isles Beach. The marble lobby had a waterfall that never stopped running; crisp-shirted valets parked your car for you. For the residents who lived in the more lavish flats, these cars were often BMWs and Mercedes. But no matter their value, the cars all wound up in the same place: the basement.

When I called, I’d ask my dad how the building was doing. “The basement flooded again a couple weeks ago,” he’d sometimes say. Or: “It’s getting worse.” It’s not only his building: he’s also driven through a foot of water on a main road a couple of towns over and is used to tiptoeing around pools in the local supermarket’s car park.

Ask nearly anyone in the Miami area about flooding and they’ll have an anecdote to share. Many will also tell you that it’s happening more and more frequently. The data backs them up.

It’s easy to think that the only communities suffering from sea level rise are far-flung and remote. And while places like the Solomon Islands and Kiribati are indeed facing particularly dramatic challenges, they aren’t the only ones being forced to grapple with the issue. Sea levels are rising around the world, and in the US, south Florida is ground zero – as much for the adaptation strategies it is attempting as for the risk that it bears.

One reason is that water levels here are rising especially quickly. The most frequently-used range of estimates puts the likely range between 15-25cm (6-10in) above 1992 levels by 2030, and 79-155cm (31-61in) by 2100. With tides higher than they have been in decades – and far higher than when this swampy, tropical corner of the US began to be drained and built on a century ago – many of south Florida’s drainage systems and seawalls are no longer enough. That means not only more flooding, but challenges for the infrastructure that residents depend on every day, from septic tanks to wells. “The consequences of sea level rise are going to occur way before the high tide reaches your doorstep,” says William Sweet, an oceanographer at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The flooding would be a challenge for any community, but it poses particular risks here. One recent report estimated that Miami has the most to lose in terms of financial assets of any coastal city in the world, just above Guangzhou, China and New York City. This 120-mile (193km) corridor running up the coast from Homestead to Jupiter – taking in major cities like Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach – is the eighth most populous metropolitan area in the US. It’s also booming. In 2015, the US Census Bureau found that the population of all three counties here was growing – along with the rest of Florida – at around 8%, roughly twice the pace of the US average. Recent studies have shown that Florida has more residents at risk from climate change than any other US state.

-----------

The coast shifts all the time . There are frequent storms and if you live right on the ocean or on land that use to be swamps that are below sea level you are going to get flooded. It's just common sense not to build on such areas.
Not significantly.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:01 pm

chucky wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 pm
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
By Amanda Ruggeri

-----------

Not significantly.
Then why is waterfront realty considered a risky investment?
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:51 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:01 pm
chucky wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
By Amanda Ruggeri

-----------

Not significantly.
Cyclical storms such as Nor'easters and hurricanes.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:53 pm

chucky wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:51 pm
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
By Amanda Ruggeri

-----------

Not significantly.
Has the flooding gotten better or worse? Are they now seeing flooding not associated with storms?
0 x
"That Canadian HERO did what the world should do, but not only to the FILTHY muslims but the libturd democrats also!!" - Illeatyourdates

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:59 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:53 pm
chucky wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
By Amanda Ruggeri

-----------

Not significantly.
Has the flooding gotten better or worse? Are they now seeing flooding not associated with storms?
There will always be shifts in the coastline and some places that will flood consistantly. They should have been left as natural estuaries and swamps and not built on. NOLA showed what can happen when you try to go against nature.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:01 pm

chucky wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:59 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:53 pm
chucky wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
By Amanda Ruggeri

-----------

Not significantly.
There will always be shifts in the coastline and some places that will flood consistantly. They should have been left as natural estuaries and swamps and not built on. NOLA showed what can happen when you try to go against nature.
The correct answers were "worse" and "yes."
0 x
"That Canadian HERO did what the world should do, but not only to the FILTHY muslims but the libturd democrats also!!" - Illeatyourdates