TGIF 🍺

Scientists Accidentally Discover Efficient Process to Turn CO2 Into Ethanol

Are you a Gorebot? A Denier? Let's mix it up here and figure this issue out!
barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Re: Scientists Accidentally Discover Efficient Process to Turn CO2 Into Ethanol

Post by barrysoetoro » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:37 am

Tejanochimbo wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
Tejanochimbo wrote:
chucky wrote:I guess we don't have to worry about AGW anymore.

'Scientists Accidentally Discover Efficient Process to Turn CO2 Into Ethanol'

The process is cheap, efficient, and scalable, meaning it could soon be used to remove large amounts of CO2 from the atmosphere.

By Avery Thompson
Oct 17, 2016

Scientists at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee have discovered a chemical reaction to turn CO2 into ethanol, potentially creating a new technology to help avert climate change. Their findings were published in the journal ChemistrySelect.

The researchers were attempting to find a series of chemical reactions that could turn CO2 into a useful fuel, when they realized the first step in their process managed to do it all by itself. The reaction turns CO2 into ethanol, which could in turn be used to power generators and vehicles.

The tech involves a new combination of copper and carbon arranged into nanospikes on a silicon surface. The nanotechnology allows the reactions to be very precise, with very few contaminants.

"By using common materials, but arranging them with nanotechnology, we figured out how to limit the side reactions and end up with the one thing that we want," said Adam Rondinone.

This process has several advantages when compared to other methods of converting CO2 into fuel. The reaction uses common materials like copper and carbon, and it converts the CO2 into ethanol, which is already widely used as a fuel.

Perhaps most importantly, it works at room temperature, which means that it can be started and stopped easily and with little energy cost. This means that this conversion process could be used as temporary energy storage during a lull in renewable energy generation, smoothing out fluctuations in a renewable energy grid.

"A process like this would allow you to consume extra electricity when it's available to make and store as ethanol," said Rondinone. "This could help to balance a grid supplied by intermittent renewable sources."

The researchers plan to further study this process and try and make it more efficient. If they're successful, we just might see large-scale carbon capture using this technique in the near future.
► Well, that's great. Now with his help we can burn carbon twice

Maybe Bernie Sanders could help out by donating his mansion.
► I'll tell him

So are you convinced that gov't causes deficits/debt? Not tax breaks.
Are you convinced that its the gov'ts fault for SS running out? Not fat cats.
Are you convinced that raising taxes on job creators, aka tax fat cats, puts people out of work?
Do you want a fat cat to get a Social Security check?
And, that a minority like you who thinks whitey owes you, doesnt' owe you ######?
☪ "I am a conservative. One that understands science, which to the uneducated, read you, makes me seem like a liberal", evilcommie

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
evilconempire wrote:"I guess we don't have to worry about AGW anymore. "

:guffaw:

Great find though. Now is it really scalable? I hope so.

What caused the ice age, and what caused it to recede? Was it CFC's that cavemen were using to spray Rogaine?
Which ice age? And, for the record, CO2 is part of the explanation....

https://news.dartmouth.edu/news/2015/03 ... l-ice-ages

poor bewwie...
Which ice age?!? Oh, so global cooling was a hoax. Which means that climate is constantly changing.

you putz, you just googled that now, then stand behind it and say "read this, look what I found!".

You can't even think for yourself.

Man up, stand in front of your sources, tell us about how you went from global cooling to global warming.
I didn't. Curious you think I did.
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

DallasDimeBags
Royal Highness

Post by DallasDimeBags » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:54 pm
"I guess we don't have to worry about AGW anymore. "

Anymore? I wasn't worried about it to start with. Worrying about it doesn't change diddly. And those who are concerned about it are IMO doing little or nothing to change it anyway. Except use band width on social media to talk about it.

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:32 am
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

What caused the ice age, and what caused it to recede? Was it CFC's that cavemen were using to spray Rogaine?

poor bewwie...
Which ice age?!? Oh, so global cooling was a hoax. Which means that climate is constantly changing.

you putz, you just googled that now, then stand behind it and say "read this, look what I found!".

Man up, stand in front of your sources, tell us about how you went from global cooling to global warming.

Yes. Which ice age? Sure, the climate is constantly changing.... and right now we're changing in the wrong direction.

And yes, unlike you, I do think for myself. You might try reading something the art of rhetoric or debate.
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Post by barrysoetoro » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:07 am

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

poor bewwie...

I didn't. Curious you think I did.
barry wrote:tell us about how you went from global cooling to global warming.
☪ "I am a conservative. One that understands science, which to the uneducated, read you, makes me seem like a liberal", evilcommie

barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Post by barrysoetoro » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:09 am

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

poor bewwie...

Yes. Which ice age? Sure, the climate is constantly changing.... and right now we're changing in the wrong direction.

And yes, unlike you, I do think for myself. You might try reading something the art of rhetoric or debate.
Which direction are we going this time, nobrain? This ought to be good. Ask your buddy evilcommie the liberal for some back up, like his usual "peer reviewed scientists say", and "take some science classes" crap.

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:09 am
nolaxride wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

poor bewwie...

Which direction are we going this time, nobrain? This ought to be good. Ask your buddy evilcommie the liberal for some back up, like his usual "peer reviewed scientists say", and "take some science classes" crap.
Did you flunk basic physics too? Evidently, yes. I see where your common sense tells you it's getting cooler, not warmer.

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am

cool feed those cows more beans

:up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lroZLN1gQnw
It's a small world but I'd hate to paint it

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am

Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am
cool feed those cows more beans

:up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lroZLN1gQnw
Nah... just spend some time on a modern dairy farm that's milking a few thousand head....

psk836
Majesty

Post by psk836 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Personally I am just glad that I had the good fortune to live between the ice ages.