Earth's Ice Ages

Are you a Gorebot? A Denier? Let's mix it up here and figure this issue out!
psk836
Get in my Belly!

Earth's Ice Ages

Post by psk836 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:03 pm

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/01/03/earths-ice-ages/

"The earth is in an icehouse state when either or both poles are covered in a thick, permanent icecap (Scotese 2015). Today, both poles are covered in ice year-round, so you may be surprised to learn this is very rare in Earth’s history. In fact, out of the last 550 million years, the earth has had permanent ice caps on one or both poles only nine percent of the time."

"We are currently living in the Quaternary Ice Age, this is only the fifth significant and severe ice age in Earth’s known history, and, so far it has lasted about 2.6 million years. It is the most severe ice age in the Phanerozoic, the geological name for the past 550 million years. Ice Ages are rare, but humans evolved during one, so it seems normal to us."

"As Figure 1 makes clear, the “normal” or “optimum” global average temperature of the Earth is 19.5 degrees C. or 67 degrees F. This is over 5 degrees C. (9 degrees F.) warmer than today."

"There are five periods when the Earth became very warm with average surface temperatures of more than 24 degrees C. or 75 degrees F. This area is called “hothouse” and is shaded in red in Figure 1. The blue area in Figure 1 is called the “icehouse” and we are living in the fourth or fifth icehouse period."

"Ice ages are glacial periods, or periods of glacier advances, that are interrupted by periods of glacial retreat, called interglacials. We are currently living in an ice age interglacial we call the Holocene, see Figure 7."

Plenty more if you're interested.
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Re: Earth's Ice Ages

Post by nolaxride » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:05 pm

psk836 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:03 pm
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/01/03/earths-ice-ages/

"The earth is in an icehouse state when either or both poles are covered in a thick, permanent icecap (Scotese 2015). Today, both poles are covered in ice year-round, so you may be surprised to learn this is very rare in Earth’s history. In fact, out of the last 550 million years, the earth has had permanent ice caps on one or both poles only nine percent of the time."

"We are currently living in the Quaternary Ice Age, this is only the fifth significant and severe ice age in Earth’s known history, and, so far it has lasted about 2.6 million years. It is the most severe ice age in the Phanerozoic, the geological name for the past 550 million years. Ice Ages are rare, but humans evolved during one, so it seems normal to us."

"As Figure 1 makes clear, the “normal” or “optimum” global average temperature of the Earth is 19.5 degrees C. or 67 degrees F. This is over 5 degrees C. (9 degrees F.) warmer than today."

"There are five periods when the Earth became very warm with average surface temperatures of more than 24 degrees C. or 75 degrees F. This area is called “hothouse” and is shaded in red in Figure 1. The blue area in Figure 1 is called the “icehouse” and we are living in the fourth or fifth icehouse period."

"Ice ages are glacial periods, or periods of glacier advances, that are interrupted by periods of glacial retreat, called interglacials. We are currently living in an ice age interglacial we call the Holocene, see Figure 7."

Plenty more if you're interested.
I'm sure Australia is interested in the coming ice age. And those glaciers in Iceland and Greenland are getting really big.

Then again, the article isn't about the coming ice age, it's just a discussion of ice ages.
0 x
-- Oderint dum metuant

psk836
Get in my Belly!

Post by psk836 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Yes it is, starting with a reminder that we are still in an ice age, and “In fact, out of the last 550 million years, the earth has had permanent ice caps on one or both poles only nine percent of the time."

0 x

Evil
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Post by Evil » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:04 pm

the relevant part is that we are in an interglacial period right now. Our impact on the climate is going to prevent any possibility of another period of glaciation.
0 x
"Then I have an Article 2, where I have the right to do whatever I want as president." - Would-be-King Donny