Pace of Bering Sea changes startle scientists

Are you a Gorebot? A Denier? Let's mix it up here and figure this issue out!
evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Pace of Bering Sea changes startle scientists

Post by evilconempire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm

By —
Dan Joling, Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Yupik Eskimo village of Kotlik on Alaska’s northwest coast relies on a cold, hard blanket of sea ice to protect homes from vicious winter Bering Sea storms.

Frigid north winds blow down from the Arctic Ocean, freeze saltwater and push sea ice south. The ice normally prevents waves from forming and locks onto beaches, walling off villages. But not this year.

In February, southwest winds brought warm air and turned thin sea ice into “snow cone ice” that melted or blew off. When a storm pounded Norton Sound, water on Feb. 12 surged up the Yukon River and into Kotlik, flooding low-lying homes. Lifelong resident Philomena Keyes, 37, awoke to knee-deep water outside her house.

“This is the first I experienced in my life, a flood that happened in the winter, in February,” Keyes said in a phone interview.

Winter storm surge flooding is the latest indication that something’s off-kilter around the Bering Strait, the gateway from the Pacific Ocean to the Arctic Ocean. Rapid, profound changes tied to high atmospheric temperatures, a direct result of climate change, may be reordering the region’s physical makeup. Ocean researchers are asking themselves if they’re witnessing the transformation of an ecosystem.
0 x
It's time to impeach the criminal in the White House

Pete
Site Admin

Re: Pace of Bering Sea changes startle scientists

Post by Pete » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Why would they be startled they're supposed to be good at predicting s***
0 x
I find it difficult to sit still in one spot and impossible to sit still in two spots

Lily
Nobility

Post by Lily » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Pete wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:19 pm
It's not weather predicting, smartazz.
0 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Pete wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:19 pm
They predicted it. Just not to this extent.
0 x
It's time to impeach the criminal in the White House

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Wed May 01, 2019 9:21 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm
By —
Dan Joling, Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Yupik Eskimo village of Kotlik on Alaska’s northwest coast relies on a cold, hard blanket of sea ice to protect homes from vicious winter Bering Sea storms.

Frigid north winds blow down from the Arctic Ocean, freeze saltwater and push sea ice south. The ice normally prevents waves from forming and locks onto beaches, walling off villages. But not this year.

In February, southwest winds brought warm air and turned thin sea ice into “snow cone ice” that melted or blew off. When a storm pounded Norton Sound, water on Feb. 12 surged up the Yukon River and into Kotlik, flooding low-lying homes. Lifelong resident Philomena Keyes, 37, awoke to knee-deep water outside her house.

“This is the first I experienced in my life, a flood that happened in the winter, in February,” Keyes said in a phone interview.

Winter storm surge flooding is the latest indication that something’s off-kilter around the Bering Strait, the gateway from the Pacific Ocean to the Arctic Ocean. Rapid, profound changes tied to high atmospheric temperatures, a direct result of climate change, may be reordering the region’s physical makeup. Ocean researchers are asking themselves if they’re witnessing the transformation of an ecosystem.
Oh no, you better vote Democrat! Only they can save us!
0 x
Democrats = the party of illegals over Americans, refugees over veterans, and death over life. Yet liberals think this is good for the country