seven-year-old son told parents he was gay

This is the place for general chat and for posting news items with little or no additional commentary
Apple1
Nobility

seven-year-old son told parents he was gay

Post by Apple1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Being a parent is an exercise in expecting the unexpected. And yet, despite years of experience, I’m still floored by my quiet, thoughtful and incredibly self-possessed son. The best example—to date, at least—happened on a regular weekday evening. My husband, my son and I were sitting around the dining room table and, like usual, I was trying my hardest to draw out some juicy details about their day. With these two, it’s always a bit of a one-sided Ping-Pong match: I lob a question over the net, and they spike incredibly succinct answers right past me.

“How was your day?”

“Fine.”

“Did you do anything fun?”

“Yep.”

After a few such attempts, I just gave up.

That was the moment our seven-year-old son came out. He took a bite of chicken and announced, in his matter-of-fact way, “I hope you know I’m gay.”

It was one of those epic parenting moments the handbook definitely does not cover. Thankfully, my mouth was full of chicken, which gave me a few panicked seconds to conjure the kind of response that could possibly convey the feelings of overwhelming love, worry and protectiveness rushing over me. I fervently wished there was someone with more experience—or, better yet, a degree in child psychology—who I could consult before responding. But no such luck: There wasn’t a single expert hiding under the table.

MORE:
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/fami ... li=AAggxAX
0 x
Did you mean: airbags

Pete
Site Admin

Re: seven-year-old son told parents he was gay

Post by Pete » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:02 am

He might want to actually try sex before making that decision. Not now of course
0 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

DallasDimeBags
Heir Apparent

Re: seven-year-old son told parents he was gay

Post by DallasDimeBags » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 am

Apple1 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 pm
Being a parent is an exercise in expecting the unexpected. And yet, despite years of experience, I’m still floored by my quiet, thoughtful and incredibly self-possessed son. The best example—to date, at least—happened on a regular weekday evening. My husband, my son and I were sitting around the dining room table and, like usual, I was trying my hardest to draw out some juicy details about their day. With these two, it’s always a bit of a one-sided Ping-Pong match: I lob a question over the net, and they spike incredibly succinct answers right past me.

“How was your day?”

“Fine.”

“Did you do anything fun?”

“Yep.”

After a few such attempts, I just gave up.

That was the moment our seven-year-old son came out. He took a bite of chicken and announced, in his matter-of-fact way, “I hope you know I’m gay.”

It was one of those epic parenting moments the handbook definitely does not cover. Thankfully, my mouth was full of chicken, which gave me a few panicked seconds to conjure the kind of response that could possibly convey the feelings of overwhelming love, worry and protectiveness rushing over me. I fervently wished there was someone with more experience—or, better yet, a degree in child psychology—who I could consult before responding. But no such luck: There wasn’t a single expert hiding under the table.

MORE:
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/fami ... li=AAggxAX
Is it your view that a 7 year old has the ability to be certain about their sexual orientation at such a young age?
0 x