Yo Shred. Call-out!

This is the place for general chat and for posting news items with little or no additional commentary
pete
Site Admin

Yo Shred. Call-out!

Post by pete » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:00 am

Since the US and the UK drive on opposite sides of the motorway, does the same hold true while on foot in a hallway?

I was walking down a hallway a few days ago with a large piece of rolling luggage. I was on the right. Two guys were coming at me from the other direction. They were walking two abreast. The guy in "my lane" didn't act like he wanted to yield so I slightly lowered my gaze and plowed forward, hopefully signalling to the guy that I was not going to change my speed or trajectory. His buddy whacked him on the shoulder to get him to move out of my way. He finally yielded and I proceeded without missing a beat

The whole thing made me wonder if folks traverse hallways in the same fashion as they drive in the UK
0 x
If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

Shred
Caporegime

Re: Yo Shred. Call-out!

Post by Shred » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:10 am

It's really not the same on footpaths it's quite disorganised, and in London it seems like everyone in the street or in alleys are on the right.

But, at York Railway Station, the stairs are go up or go down on your left hand side.

Same at Leeds.

And in Yorkshire, we tend to walk on the left hand part of the path relative to our direction.
0 x
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views.

pete
Site Admin

Post by pete » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:58 am

The universal problem seems to be people staring down at their devices, oblivious to others. I will sometimes look at my cell, but I always make sure I've stepped into a place that could not possibly block a person's travel path
0 x

Shred
Caporegime

Post by Shred » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:59 am

That's an easy way for a phone to get nicked.

Plus, if someone's on it, with the screen unlocked, much easier to reset the login.
0 x
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views.

pete
Site Admin

Post by pete » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:07 am

Shred wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:59 am
That's an easy way for a phone to get nicked.

Plus, if someone's on it, with the screen unlocked, much easier to reset the login.
Reminds me of when my phone was stolen in Charleston SC a couple years ago. I didn't have a screen lock

I went back into the restaurant and used their phone to call my carrier (Metro PCS). The lady said she'd be glad to disable my stolen device but she had a security challenge for me. The question was this: "What month did you establish service with Metro PCS?"

What, you mean 20 years ago? Who the hell knows that? She finally said just pick a month as close as you can and I randomly picked August. She said "ok that's close enough" and disabled the stolen device.

:nesaitpas:
1 x