Question for any coin collectors on the forum

We'd love to hear about your hobby!
DallasDimeBags
Heir Presumptive

Question for any coin collectors on the forum

Post by DallasDimeBags » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:42 pm

I recently purchased a Seated Liberty 1 dollar coin and a Bust half dollar coin on ebay. They seem to be genuine but I wanted to do further tests to make sure. Don't want to use acid as that will lower the coins value if real. I've seen the ice test suggestion adn that looks like a good one to try. Any otehr tests I might do to ensure authenticity?
0 x

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:48 pm

DallasDimeBags wrote:I recently purchased a Seated Liberty 1 dollar coin and a Bust half dollar coin on ebay. They seem to be genuine but I wanted to do further tests to make sure. Don't want to use acid as that will lower the coins value if real. I've seen the ice test suggestion adn that looks like a good one to try. Any otehr tests I might do to ensure authenticity?
Use a magnet if they are magnetic they are fakes. I would advise only buying certified coins by PCGS or NGC for old US coins like these.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:19 am

OT but I received a silver quarter in change the other day. Not worth much maybe $3 but the remarkable part is you hardly see em in circ these days :cash: :cash: :cash: :cash: :cash:
1 x
Nemo me impune lacessit