Experiment: Fading Denim Jeans

We'd love to hear about your hobby!
Pete
Site Admin

Experiment: Fading Denim Jeans

Post by Pete » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Somehow I ended up with 4 pair very dark blue denim jeans, but I like jeans with at least a little fade. I think I got two pair for CHRISTmas, and I must have bought the other two pair under duress when I ran out of clean clothes while traveling. I washed them all together about ten times in a row, and it helped slightly.

I now have them all hanging outside in the blistering GA sun for the next 30 days. I bet that'll bring 'em around LOL

:violent5:
0 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

Bigbaddoe
Global Moderator

Re: Experiment: Fading Denim Jeans

Post by Bigbaddoe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am

Pete wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 pm
Somehow I ended up with 4 pair very dark blue denim jeans, but I like jeans with at least a little fade. I think I got two pair for CHRISTmas, and I must have bought the other two pair under duress when I ran out of clean clothes while traveling. I washed them all together about ten times in a row, and it helped slightly.

I now have them all hanging outside in the blistering GA sun for the next 30 days. I bet that'll bring 'em around LOL

Maybe add some bleach to them.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:25 am

Bleach makes it look fake in my opinion. Im not in any hurry so i can leave them outside all summer if I need to
0 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:49 am

Bigbaddoe wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am
Pete wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Maybe add some bleach to them.
Wash them every few days and put them out when they're wet.
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:52 am

I simply left 'em in the washer for 3-4 days and every time I noticed the washer had stopped I'd throw in more soap and start another hot wash. It had to be at least 10 times.

A dude online claims that sun wont fade dark denim but Im calling BS because UV rays fade almost everything, especially dark pigments. This dude would have us believe that some-effing-how blue denim dye is immune to UV rays
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 am

Pete wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:52 am
I simply left 'em in the washer for 3-4 days and every time I noticed the washer had stopped I'd throw in more soap and start another hot wash. It had to be at least 10 times.

A dude online claims that sun wont fade dark denim but Im calling BS because UV rays fade almost everything, especially dark pigments. This dude would have us believe that some-effing-how blue denim dye is immune to UV rays
That dude probably believes 9-11 was an inside job.
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 am

nolaxride wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 am
Pete wrote:

yeah I have decades of experience in pigments/dyes etc and, in general, the darker blues, reds, browns and blacks are the first to succumb to UV rays.

I find it hard to believe that a dye maker in Bangladesh has somehow come up with a UV-proof dye cheap enough to apply to discount blue jeans. I wish I had taken 'before' pics but I think I can already see a difference
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:58 am

Pete wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 am
nolaxride wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 am
Pete wrote:

yeah I have decades of experience in pigments/dyes etc and, in general, the darker blues, reds, browns and blacks are the first to succumb to UV rays.

I find it hard to believe that a dye maker in Bangladesh has somehow come up with a UV-proof dye cheap enough to apply to discount blue jeans. I wish I had taken 'before' pics but I think I can already see a difference
Don't forget photos. The old color stuff would almost fade as you looked at it.

And the bleach idea is a good one... not a lot... if you're using a normal washing, a half cup on a full load water setting would be sufficient. If it's an HE, I'd skip the bleach idea.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:25 am

Fading coming along nicely but Atlanta has had the typical rain showers every evening, so I have noticed some faint algae on the denim. I may have to wash them and put them back out in the sun.

As a side note, my brand-new eyeglasses fell into the pool without my knowledge and after a long search in 4 different cars I gave up. 3 or 4 days later I found them in the pool and netted them out. The lenses had taken on a very light yellowish-green tint from the chlorine. Not enough to be a problem. While they were lost I ordered 2 more pair on Zenni Optical for $15 each. Now I will have 3 of the same
0 x