Ordered decals and grill cloth for my 1939 RCA K60

We'd love to hear about your hobby!
Pete
Site Admin

Ordered decals and grill cloth for my 1939 RCA K60

Post by Pete » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:01 am

Inherited from my grandparents. They listened to FDR's Fireside Chats on this unit. These radios are not particularly rare or expensive, in fact I see them on ebay from time to time for <$200, but I wouldn't take $1000 for this one.

The link is a stock photo but is very similar to the condition my unit is in. I can do pretty fair wood touch up but I have a local guy I'm going to use.

I'm sure all the electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced. Not a huge deal. It came with extra tubes also http://www.radiodaze.com/rca-3-sets-decals-dcl-rc-k60/

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... tion=click
1 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

Pete
Site Admin

Re: Ordered decals and grill cloth for my 1936 RCA K60

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Decals and cloth
1 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

clusterchuck
Heir Apparent

Post by clusterchuck » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Sweet looking radio Pete. Love the wood work and the fact it's full blown analog. Hope to see her when she's all done.

Wonky winter weather kept me inside this last season, a few months of early weekday morning bench time before work building a new audio system was my project, starting with an optimized-for-audio media server, new tube pre & powers amps built from kits, restoration of a pair of turntables and rebuild of a Marantz tuner. Still working on the 2nd table.
AlmostDone.jpg
ST7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Holy christ audiophile-quality gear you have there.

Although I do pretty good wood restoration, i'm hiring a young fellow who is a woodworking wizard, and alrhough I have an electronics background i"m hiring a guy who restores old guitar amps and radios.
0 x

clusterchuck
Heir Apparent

Post by clusterchuck » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 pm

The image I have in my head is already making me jealous. You gotta update this thread when she's done. Progress photos would be especially cool.
-----
Replaced 20 year old electrostatic panels.
WhatItWas2.jpg
With Maggie 3.7i. They are taller than I am. Thinner too. LOL
Maggies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 pm

cabinet stripped of chassis and all hardware. she goes to refinisher thursday :clap:

click on the pic to turn it
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Re: Ordered decals and grill cloth for my 1939 RCA K60

Post by Pete » Wed May 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Had to bring in another decal. I was missing this one
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 pm

clusterchuck wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 pm
The image I have in my head is already making me jealous. You gotta update this thread when she's done. Progress photos would be especially cool.
-----
Replaced 20 year old electrostatic panels.

WhatItWas2.jpg

With Maggie 3.7i. They are taller than I am. Thinner too. LOL

Maggies.jpg
Sweet... and I already know the wife's answer.
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:53 pm

I stopped in the Mellow Mushroom in Snellville GA for lunch Saturday and to my horror they had the attached old radio cabinet converted into a hostess podium. Oh the humanity
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:51 pm

electronics are allegedly ready. Bill was $150. Gotta pick up the chassis tomorrow and start harassing the cabinet repair guy now LOL
0 x