Play for free Battleship and Dig Dug

AIBAFS: "....One of the best political forums....." https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.aibafs.net

Anyone good with Arch-based linux distros?

Computers, electronics, gadgets....
barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Re: Anyone good with Arch-based linux distros?

Post by barrysoetoro » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:01 am

nolaxride wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:15 pm
barrysoetoro wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:01 pm
nolaxride wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:38 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 pm
nolaxride wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 pm
Like Apricity or Manjaro?

Let me know.
I've played with some arch-based systems... apricity looks interesting... the integration with wine in particular. I've got manjaro running in a vm on a mac... what's the question?
After I install either of those two, it gives the "updates available" message. So I click on it to install updates. After it's done, it gives an error message, error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files).
Try ignoring the updates. Or, are you updating with sudo?

Are the update mirrors accurate?

And... turn on verbose logging during the install and update. I'll grab a new vm and install apricity...

Not using sudo, just the update manager that shows all the updates you need checked off, then you click apply.

I don't know anything about update mirrors, not that good with linux.

How do you turn on verbose logging?
Mirrors are the servers that house the updates. Sometimes they change and the changes aren't communicated.

Here's an installation process that uses the command line. I just installed it on an Oracle VirtualBox using the command line from a bootable usb on a mac... followed the instructions found here:

https://zodiacfireworks.wordpress.com/2 ... pricityos/

Everything worked. I didn't look for updates. You might try the installation without updates and see if everything boots before applying updates.

Cool looking interface.
I tried that sudo pacman -Syu command, no luck. Unless I'm making the wrong selections.

So install without connected to the internet?
☪ "I care about wasted taxpayer money", superstupidass, who was okay with 0bama's Stimulus & $10 trillion debt

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:01 am
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.
I've played with some arch-based systems... apricity looks interesting... the integration with wine in particular. I've got manjaro running in a vm on a mac... what's the question?
After I install either of those two, it gives the "updates available" message. So I click on it to install updates. After it's done, it gives an error message, error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files).

And... turn on verbose logging during the install and update. I'll grab a new vm and install apricity...
Shoot... yes. Kill the internet connection. Is this a greenfield install? What hardware are you installing on?
Not using sudo, just the update manager that shows all the updates you need checked off, then you click apply.

Mirrors are the servers that house the updates. Sometimes they change and the changes aren't communicated.

Here's an installation process that uses the command line. I just installed it on an Oracle VirtualBox using the command line from a bootable usb on a mac... followed the instructions found here:

Everything worked. I didn't look for updates. You might try the installation without updates and see if everything boots before applying updates.

Cool looking interface.
I tried that sudo pacman -Syu command, no luck. Unless I'm making the wrong selections.

— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016

barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Post by barrysoetoro » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:09 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.

Shoot... yes. Kill the internet connection. Is this a greenfield install? What hardware are you installing on?

Cool looking interface.

I don't know what a greenfield install is. I just boot & install with a live CD/DVD. Then select language, time zone, keyboard, name, password, etc.
☪ "I care about wasted taxpayer money", superstupidass, who was okay with 0bama's Stimulus & $10 trillion debt

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:58 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:09 pm
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.

Cool looking interface.

I don't know what a greenfield install is. I just boot & install with a live CD/DVD. Then select language, time zone, keyboard, name, password, etc.
greenfield is a clean install on a clean disk. If you're booting from a rom you're doing a greenfield install.
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016

barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Post by barrysoetoro » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:58 pm
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.

Cool looking interface.

greenfield is a clean install on a clean disk. If you're booting from a rom you're doing a greenfield install.
I downloaded the .iso image onto another machine, then insert a blank DVD, then right-click, select "Write to disk", then it burns it. I then take that disk to my other machine and install it with that disk. Is that greenfield?

I re-installed it without an internet connection. After it was done and rebooted, I connected it to the internet. The updates available message appeared. I clicked, but it still gave the same error message.

So I ran that sudo command, and it said "failed to commit transaction (conflicting files). Ugh.

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:

Cool looking interface.

I downloaded the .iso image onto another machine, then insert a blank DVD, then right-click, select "Write to disk", then it burns it. I then take that disk to my other machine and install it with that disk. Is that greenfield?

I re-installed it without an internet connection. After it was done and rebooted, I connected it to the internet. The updates available message appeared. I clicked, but it still gave the same error message.

So I ran that sudo command, and it said "failed to commit transaction (conflicting files). Ugh.
What happens if you just ignore the updates?

barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Post by barrysoetoro » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:03 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 pm
barrysoetoro wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 pm
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Cool looking interface.

What happens if you just ignore the updates?
Nothing happens. It just doesn't get the updates. It's fully functional, but lack of updates might effect it's performance (and security). That's all I'm worried about. It's a nice distro.

barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 am

Nolax, trying this one now. Skip ahead to 0:45, that seems to be what I'm experiencing.

https://youtu.be/kOB2--Eo5RI

Done! This worked. I had to tell the terminal to ignore the file that wouldn't update, then after the rest was updated, force that file to update.

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 am
Nolax, trying this one now. Skip ahead to 0:45, that seems to be what I'm experiencing.

Done! This worked. I had to tell the terminal to ignore the file that wouldn't update, then after the rest was updated, force that file to update.
Wow... great catch. I'd have never thought to check youtube. Glad you're up and running. Let me know what you like about it...

barrysoetoro
Rock Star

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 am

Wow... great catch. I'd have never thought to check youtube. Glad you're up and running. Let me know what you like about it...
Runs fine. Streams movies and youtube good. But not the game "supertux 3D kart racing". If it can't handle that, then the distro is probably too heavy.