Anyone good with Arch-based linux distros?

Computers, electronics, gadgets....
barrysoetoro
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Anyone good with Arch-based linux distros?

Post by barrysoetoro » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Like Apricity or Manjaro?

Let me know.
0 x
☪ "The Battle Cry of The Moronic..........America---Love it or Leave it", brokebackboy, America hating POS

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Let me know.
I've played with some arch-based systems... apricity looks interesting... the integration with wine in particular. I've got manjaro running in a vm on a mac... what's the question?
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:09 am
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.
I've played with some arch-based systems... apricity looks interesting... the integration with wine in particular. I've got manjaro running in a vm on a mac... what's the question?
After I install either of those two, it gives the "updates available" message. So I click on it to install updates. After it's done, it gives an error message, error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files).
0 x
☪ "The Battle Cry of The Moronic..........America---Love it or Leave it", brokebackboy, America hating POS

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:38 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 pm
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.
After I install either of those two, it gives the "updates available" message. So I click on it to install updates. After it's done, it gives an error message, error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files).
Try ignoring the updates. Or, are you updating with sudo?

Are the update mirrors accurate?

And... turn on verbose logging during the install and update. I'll grab a new vm and install apricity...
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:01 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:38 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.

And... turn on verbose logging during the install and update. I'll grab a new vm and install apricity...

Not using sudo, just the update manager that shows all the updates you need checked off, then you click apply.

I don't know anything about update mirrors, not that good with linux.

How do you turn on verbose logging?
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:15 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:01 pm
nolaxride wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:38 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

Let me know.

Not using sudo, just the update manager that shows all the updates you need checked off, then you click apply.

I don't know anything about update mirrors, not that good with linux.

How do you turn on verbose logging?
Mirrors are the servers that house the updates. Sometimes they change and the changes aren't communicated.

Here's an installation process that uses the command line. I just installed it on an Oracle VirtualBox using the command line from a bootable usb on a mac... followed the instructions found here:

https://zodiacfireworks.wordpress.com/2 ... pricityos/

Everything worked. I didn't look for updates. You might try the installation without updates and see if everything boots before applying updates.

Cool looking interface.
0 x

JDDJR
Courtier

Post by JDDJR » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Barry, why did you choose Arch?.....very time consuming.....especially for a newbie.....

I read a step by step installation article for Arch about a week ago, I'll check my history, if I find it, I'll post the URL for you.....
0 x

JDDJR
Courtier

Post by JDDJR » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:51 pm

0 x

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:47 pm

JDDJR wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:21 pm
Barry, why did you choose Arch?.....very time consuming.....especially for a newbie.....

I read a step by step installation article for Arch about a week ago, I'll check my history, if I find it, I'll post the URL for you.....
Last edited by barrysoetoro on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 pm

JDDJR wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Just bored with Ubuntu & Mint. Like trying new stuff.

Not installing a fresh version of arch, but either Manjaro or Apricity. Installing it's not a big deal, it's what to do with it after.
0 x