One for Pete

Computers, electronics, gadgets....
Shred
Courtier

One for Pete

Post by Shred » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 am

If I recall correctly, you were interested in radios.

I have two aeronautical radios, one is an Icom IA6E transceiver in Redwing, using the glider's aerial, the other is a Uniden 125 XLT scanner, which I use when driving the winch lorry to hear downwind calls.

What radios do you use ?
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Re: One for Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:01 pm

Shred wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 am
If I recall correctly, you were interested in radios.

I have two aeronautical radios, one is an Icom IA6E transceiver in Redwing, using the glider's aerial, the other is a Uniden 125 XLT scanner, which I use when driving the winch lorry to hear downwind calls.

What radios do you use ?
When I was a teenager mid 70's, we didnt have cell phones or pagers, so we all had 11 meter (CB) radios in our cars so we could find out where the party was. Then the movie 'Smokey and the Bandit' was released and everybody had a radio.

That craze is long gone but I bought a little Anytone AT6666 radio to use on road trips. It is what is called an "export" radio, not intended for use in the US mainly because of the illegally high transmit power. They are not illegal to possess, however, so most people who buy them convert them for 11 meter use, which can be done with just a few key entries. Amateur radio operator M0OGY reviews the AT6666 here: https://youtu.be/5oKoO7Ax7w8
0 x
Prayer: The Ultimate Wireless Plan