Sperm Whale Beached In Spain Died After Ingesting 29 Kilograms Of Plastic Waste

No way, man!
evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Sperm Whale Beached In Spain Died After Ingesting 29 Kilograms Of Plastic Waste

Post by evilconempire » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm

By Rosie McCall
09 APR 2018, 14:47

A young, male sperm whale washed ashore on the Murcian coast in southern Spain at the end of February. Now, an autopsy has revealed the unlucky animal died from gastric shock after swallowing 29 kilograms (64 pounds) of plastic debris.

Human junk including pieces of ropes, nets, plastic bags, raffia sacks, and a plastic jerry can were found in the whale's stomach and intestines, regional authorities announced on Friday.

Experts at the El Valle Wildlife Rescue Centre believe the 10-meter (33 feet), 6-tonne (6.6 tons) giant died after developing an inflammation of the inner walls of the abdomen (peritonitis), usually triggered by a bacterial or fungal infection. This, they say, was likely the result of the massive amounts of undigested plastic in its body.

It is not the first time a whale has died from ingesting our discarded plastic. Tragically, this is a situation that is becoming more and more common. In 2016, a pod of 13 sperm whales washed ashore with plastic garbage in their bellies, including a 13-meter (43-foot) long fisherman’s net and a 70-centimeter (28-inch) long sheet of plastic from a car. Last year, another whale had to be put down after it was found with 30 plastic bags in its stomach.

And we can expect the problem to get worse. Today, there are some 5.2 trillion tonnes (5.7 trillion tons) of plastic floating around in the world’s oceans, including far-out regions like the Arctic and the deep sea. By 2025, this already staggering figure could triple. By 2050, plastic waste could actually outweigh fish.

The good news is that the world is beginning to take notice, though it may not be acting fast enough. The EU recently launched a strategy to tackle plastic waste, aiming to have all plastic reusable or recyclable by 2030. The UN has also committed to ending plastic pollution but has not yet set any timetables or made anything legally binding, mostly thanks to the US' refusal to support any stronger measures.

0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

Pete
Site Admin

Re: Sperm Whale Beached In Spain Died After Ingesting 29 Kilograms Of Plastic Waste

Post by Pete » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:16 pm

The good news is that plastic floating in the ocean will photodegrade from uv rays and eventually turn into microscopic particles. Sadly plastic on land takes way longer to break down.

I couldn't bring myself to throw trash in the sea. What pigs.......
0 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Re: Sperm Whale Beached In Spain Died After Ingesting 29 Kilograms Of Plastic Waste

Post by evilconempire » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Pete wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:16 pm
The good news is that plastic floating in the ocean will photodegrade from uv rays and eventually turn into microscopic particles. Sadly plastic on land takes way longer to break down.

I couldn't bring myself to throw trash in the sea. What pigs.......
Except that these ocean garbage patches are mostly microbeads already, which is every bit, if not more, harmful to sea life. That's why cleaning it up is such an enormous task.

We need regulations to guarantee all the plastic we use is biodegradable or recyclable. The market reacts too slowly to things like this.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 am

I'd be willing to bet microbeads pass thru an animal's body easier than a wad of plastic junk
0 x
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"............Rudyard Kipling

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 pm

I bet they don't pass thru any easier when the animal is small.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:13 pm

I bet you're right. Attn all assholes: stop throwing trash overboard
0 x

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:09 pm

That’s not how it gets there
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:09 pm
some of it does. what do you think causes it? global warming?

I think a lot is from vessels on rivers and vessels in the ocean
0 x

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 pm
evilconempire wrote:

True. Some does for sure. Most comes from inland via rivers
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 pm
Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 pm
evilconempire wrote:

True. Some does for sure. Most comes from inland via rivers
Thats why I said stop throwing trash overboard.
0 x