Taxing Internet Sales

How do you think we are doing?
Pete
Site Admin

Taxing Internet Sales

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 pm

I just got an email from PayPal saying they are going to collect sales tax.

Think about it: If 100 people order from the internet the packages are delivered on one Amazon van

If 100 people have to drive to brick and mortar, they have to fire up the old greenhouse gas-belching jalopies

Gov doesn't give a rat's about the environment. The money grab is much more important
0 x
"Discontent with money is just another trick of the rich to keep the poor without it" Michael Corleone in Godfather2

evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Re: Taxing Internet Sales

Post by evilconempire » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 pm
I just got an email from PayPal saying they are going to collect sales tax.

Think about it: If 100 people order from the internet the packages are delivered on one Amazon van

If 100 people have to drive to brick and mortar, they have to fire up the old greenhouse gas-belching jalopies

Gov doesn't give a rat's about the environment. The money grab is much more important
The convenience economy is not environmentally friendly. It's creating more air traffic, putting more large trucks on the road, and generating more garbage. It has a huge carbon footprint.
0 x
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.”

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Evil dude would have you believe it's better for 100 cars to drive to a store than one modern Amazon van

No, really

:rofl1:
0 x
"Discontent with money is just another trick of the rich to keep the poor without it" Michael Corleone in Godfather2

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:33 pm
Evil dude would have you believe it's better for 100 cars to drive to a store than one modern Amazon van

No, really

A. It's not only Amazon.
B. Most products get driven to a hub then flown to another hub and then that "van" gets them
C. A lot more packaging involved in shipping
D. Then you have to repeat it all for returns

So Pete would have you believe that all of that is better than driving a car to a local store.
0 x
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.”

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:44 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 pm
Pete wrote:

No, really

A. It's not only Amazon.
B. Most products get driven to a hub then flown to another hub and then that "van" gets them

So Pete would have you believe that all of that is better than driving a car to a local store.
Good God you are in WAY over your head. The trucks and airplanes were already traveling. Now, instead of going to thousands of stores, they go to the hubs you mentioned and the packages go out consolidated instead of thousands of people driving to "the store"

Trucking is in a crisis BTW. Lots of companies going under, NEMF et al

I know the industry so dont even try, boy
0 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:44 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 pm
Pete wrote:

No, really

A. It's not only Amazon.

Good God you are in WAY over your head. The trucks and airplanes were already traveling. Now, instead of going to thousands of stores, they go go the hubs you mentioned and the packages go out consolidated instead of thousands of people driving to "the store"

Trucking is in a crisis BTW. Lots of companies going under, NEMF et al

I know the industry so dont even try, boy
No, the number required has increased because of the massive increase in internet sales. There are huge numbers of person to person sales through Amazon. Those are items that were ever in or going to be in stores.

I thought the same thing you did until reading a recent study on it. Single-use plastics are also major problem with this convenience economy. This convenience economy has a huge carbon footprint. You think you know trucking, but you don't know what you're talking about on this.

Trucking volume has been growing, but you know the industry.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1LM1TR
https://www.trucking.org/article/Latest ... ge-by-2030
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 pm

A simple minded person sees the words "increased tonnage" and automatically thinks that means more trucks ......it does not.

It could mean the same or less trucks are operating more efficiently.

The industry is undergoing huge shake-out right now.

You better stick to Gore-bull warming or whatever the F your specialty is
0 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 pm
A simple minded person sees the words "increased tonnage" and automatically thinks that means more trucks ......it does not.

I didn't say anything about more trucks. I showed you facts and you give me anecdotes. The trucking industry's biggest problem is coming soon. Besides, trucking is a small part of the equation.

Either way, the convenience economy isn't greener. You don't know what you're talking about.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:17 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:15 pm
Pete wrote:

I didn't say anything about more trucks. I showed you facts and you give me anecdotes. The trucking industry's biggest problem is coming soon.

Either way, the convenience economy isn't greener. You don't know what you're talking about.
Ok cool dismantle the USPS and let everybody drive their letters and packages to the destination. I'm sure you're right

0 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:17 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:15 pm
Pete wrote:

I didn't say anything about more trucks. I showed you facts and you give me anecdotes. The trucking industry's biggest problem is coming soon.

Ok cool dismantle the USPS and let everybody drive their letters and packages to the destination. I'm sure you're right

So now you're last gasp is to cite a dying industry. I'm just telling you what studies have shown. Like I said, I thought the same thing you did. Man you get defensive.
0 x