Scientist Believes She Has Discovered The Secret To Roman Concrete

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
Pete
Site Admin

Re: Scientist Believes She Has Discovered The Secret To Roman Concrete

Post by Pete » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am

I did not add that word to the censor list and if somebody else did they are probably just trying to give skidmark a subtle hint to change the tired old schtick he has used for the last five years
0 x
Prayer: The Ultimate Wireless Plan

DallasDimeBags
Imperial Majesty

Post by DallasDimeBags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:20 am

KC_ wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 pm
psk836 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 pm
We clearly have different perspectives on science.
You can’t talk to an imbecile.
But you can be amused by them again and again. The forum would just not be the same for me without the comedic treasure that is Donald "skidmar"k Treadwell.
2 x

donttreadonme
Rock Star

Post by donttreadonme » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Pete wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am
I did not add that word to the censor list and if somebody else did they are probably just trying to give skidmark a subtle hint to change the tired old schtick he has used for the last five years
"they are probably"

:rolling:

How tired is that, Cletus?
0 x
“We're going to go in and impeach the %$#@#$%$#@”

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:02 am

donttreadonme wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:33 pm
Pete wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am
"they are probably"

:rolling:

How tired is that, Cletus?
You posted it
0 x
Prayer: The Ultimate Wireless Plan

brookboy123
God-Like

Post by brookboy123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 am

psk836 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 pm
https://aleteia.org/2019/07/16/scientis ... years-ago/

“The longer the concrete is submerged in sea water, the stronger it becomes, as a mineral mixture of silica oxides and lime grows between the volcanic rock aggregate, which in turns hardens all the components into a single, unyielding piece. Jackson explained how this is different from our current concrete to Time:

“Contrary to the principles of modern cement-based concrete, the Romans created a rock-like concrete that thrives in open chemical exchange with seawater.” She said, adding, “It’s a very rare occurrence in the Earth.”‘

“The Pantheon in Rome, still in use over 2,000 years after it was built, is a testament to the strength of ancient Roman concrete. Once a Roman temple, it has been in continuous use throughout history, and since the 7th century has been used as a church dedicated to “St. Mary and the Martyrs.”‘
Awesome.

When one travels through the swath of Europe conquered by the Romans, you see buildings, amphitheaters and aqueducts that are still standing and some are still in use. They were master builders.

Holy cow......even the descendants of today's Italians were good at working with concrete.

Salute! :wine:

2 x

psk836
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by psk836 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:12 am

brookboy123 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 am
psk836 wrote:

“The longer the concrete is submerged in sea water, the stronger it becomes, as a mineral mixture of silica oxides and lime grows between the volcanic rock aggregate, which in turns hardens all the components into a single, unyielding piece. Jackson explained how this is different from our current concrete to Time:

“Contrary to the principles of modern cement-based concrete, the Romans created a rock-like concrete that thrives in open chemical exchange with seawater.” She said, adding, “It’s a very rare occurrence in the Earth.”‘

“The Pantheon in Rome, still in use over 2,000 years after it was built, is a testament to the strength of ancient Roman concrete. Once a Roman temple, it has been in continuous use throughout history, and since the 7th century has been used as a church dedicated to “St. Mary and the Martyrs.”‘
Awesome.

When one travels through the swath of Europe conquered by the Romans, you see buildings, amphitheaters and aqueducts that are still standing and some are still in use. They were master builders.

Holy cow......even the descendants of today's Italians were good at working with concrete.

They are currently excavating Nero’s Palace in Rome, which he built after the city burned. The palace traversed three hills and valleys within the city and there was one marble floored hallway over one mile long. The gardens were stocked with wild game, and the pool was so large that it became the site for the Coliseum built by Nero’s successor.

Nero’s Palace was filled in and built over after his death and soon forgotten, and was partially rediscovered in the 15th century when somebody fell through the domed ceiling only to discover the frescoes.
1 x

brookboy123
God-Like

Post by brookboy123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:41 am

psk836 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:12 am
brookboy123 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 am
psk836 wrote:

Awesome.

They are currently excavating Nero’s Palace in Rome, which he built after the city burned. The palace traversed three hills and valleys within the city and there was one marble floored hallway over one mile long. The gardens were stocked with wild game, and the pool was so large that it became the site for the Coliseum built by Nero’s successor.

Nero’s Palace was filled in and built over after his death and soon forgotten, and was partially rediscovered in the 15th century when somebody fell through the domed ceiling only to discover the frescoes.
After having been to Italy on numerous occasions, I always had a desire to just hang in the Rome area to explore, see and learn more about the amazing Roman Empire. In 2008, we did just that and stayed in Rome and it's suburbs for 4 weeks. We explored places that I didn't even know ever existed.
1 x

psk836

Post by psk836 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:10 am

I'm very jealous.

Hey here is my favorite from Pompeii.

I named this guy Loonus Toonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npI3MQNA5A
0 x

brookboy123
God-Like

Post by brookboy123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:26 am

psk836 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:10 am
I'm very jealous.

Hey here is my favorite from Pompeii.

I named this guy Loonus Toonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npI3MQNA5A
Pompeii is a must if you find yourself in that part of Italy......and definitely take the tour or you will miss quite a bit of the amazing ruins.

The first time there, with my parents and siblings, I was amazed. On a subsequent summer trip I really got to explore the area as two of my grandparents were from that "pais."

0 x

psk836

Post by psk836 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:19 am

My youngest daughter studied Italian in high school and has continued her studies in college. She just spent almost two months in Italy doing volunteer work and capped it off with two weeks of sightseeing. She got home and immediately left for Aspen so I haven’t gotten to see her pictures yet.

She goes to school in NYC and loves it. I tell everybody she is majoring in New York City.
0 x