How $42K-a-year priest built mansion worth millions

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

How $42K-a-year priest built mansion worth millions

Post by evilconempire » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Francis X. Donnelly, The Detroit News

Williamston — The Rev. Jon Wehrle, who is proud of his prowess as a builder, constructed his masterpiece on the rural outskirts of this central Michigan town.

The two-story, stone-façade house has eight bedrooms, 12 bathrooms, a library, wine cellar, indoor swimming pool and wood-paneled elevator. The 11,300-square-foot home boasts granite counter tops, limestone fireplaces, walnut hardwood floors, crystal chandeliers and stained-glass windows.

Wehrle, 67, who was pastor of St. Martha Church in Okemos, lived in the mansion, which a contractor said was worth $3 million to $4 million.

How could a Catholic priest who earned $42,000 a year afford such opulence?

Police officials argue the clergyman had stolen from the Sunday collection plate for at least 19 years. An audit found $5 million missing from church coffers, they said.

Wehrle was charged with six counts of embezzlement last year and forced to resign. His trial is scheduled for April 9 in Ingham County Circuit Court.

“It’s shocking, the whole thing,” said church member Reba Dean. “We’re all kind of upset about it.”

Wehrle declined comment. His attorneys didn’t respond to emails or phone calls.

The Catholic Diocese of Lansing may have missed several chances to stop the alleged pilfering, according to interviews, depositions, police reports, court records and trial testimony reviewed by The Detroit News.

----------

Religion. A sure fire way to bilk the masses.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Re: How $42K-a-year priest built mansion worth millions

Post by chucky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:32 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Williamston — The Rev. Jon Wehrle, who is proud of his prowess as a builder, constructed his masterpiece on the rural outskirts of this central Michigan town.

The two-story, stone-façade house has eight bedrooms, 12 bathrooms, a library, wine cellar, indoor swimming pool and wood-paneled elevator. The 11,300-square-foot home boasts granite counter tops, limestone fireplaces, walnut hardwood floors, crystal chandeliers and stained-glass windows.

Wehrle, 67, who was pastor of St. Martha Church in Okemos, lived in the mansion, which a contractor said was worth $3 million to $4 million.

Police officials argue the clergyman had stolen from the Sunday collection plate for at least 19 years. An audit found $5 million missing from church coffers, they said.

Wehrle was charged with six counts of embezzlement last year and forced to resign. His trial is scheduled for April 9 in Ingham County Circuit Court.

“It’s shocking, the whole thing,” said church member Reba Dean. “We’re all kind of upset about it.”

The Catholic Diocese of Lansing may have missed several chances to stop the alleged pilfering, according to interviews, depositions, police reports, court records and trial testimony reviewed by The Detroit News.

----------

Yup.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:34 pm

chucky wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:32 pm
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

chucky

Post by chucky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:36 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:34 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
Seriously ? We have similar views on religion.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm

chucky wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:36 pm
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
Yeah, but you agreed with me on something. You actually broke your contrarian shtick. This is rare.
0 x

chucky

Post by chucky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
Yeah, but you agreed with me on something. You actually broke your contrarian shtick. This is rare.
When it comes to the Catholic Church I don’t think I would disagree with you on anything you posted with regards to their corruption. As far as fundy religious nuts. I criticize them all. :prech:
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:44 pm

chucky wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 pm
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
When it comes to the Catholic Church I don’t think I would disagree with you on anything you posted with regards to their corruption. As far as fundy religious nuts. I criticize them all. :prech:
Yeah, but when I do it that means I hate Xtians. I've also criticized fundamentalism in all it's forms. It's still odd that you broke from your contrarian shtick.
0 x

chucky

Post by chucky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:44 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
Yeah, but when I do it that means I hate Xtians. I've also criticized fundamentalism in all it's forms. It's still odd that you broke from your contrarian shtick.
You show far more selectively than I do. I criticize the most fundamental and violent religions the most .
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 pm

chucky wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
You show far more selectively than I do. I criticize the most fundamental and violent religions the most .
Nah, I'm equally critical of them all. I provide some balance to the board in this area. some people react negatively to that.
0 x

chucky

Post by chucky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 pm
chucky wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

----------

Yup.
Nah, I'm equally critical of them all. I provide some balance to the board in this area. some people react negatively to that.
You are not at all balanced on this issue. It should become clear to you when another poster who agrees with you fundamentally on the concept of religion points it out to you.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier