why should the basketball team / school apologize?

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
I am Z
Global Moderator

why should the basketball team / school apologize?

Post by I am Z » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/high-schoo ... 55293.html

When is a victory something you don’t take pride in, but something you ought to apologize for? For East Bridgewater (Mass.), the tipping point was an 86-point victory over Madison Park in the first round of a state sectional girls’ basketball tournament.

Blowouts happen all the time in high school sports, though rarely with a near-three-figure point differential. But what prompted East Bridgewater Superintendent of Schools Elizabeth Legault to apologize for the margin of victory was the way in which the East Bridgewater Vikings ran up a lead, going up 24-0 in the first quarter … and then continued to push, long after the outcome was no longer in doubt.

it's not the winning team's fault that the losers were outmatched.

equal opportunity in America....not equal results
0 x
O.J. Simpson hired for new Isotoner Glove commercial:

"These are the SECOND best fitting gloves I've ever worn!"

:flycarpet:

evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Re: why should the basketball team / school apologize?

Post by evilconempire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

It doesn't have to, but it has the right to if it wants to.

Good sportsmanship would have the winning team taking its foot of the throttle at least a little bit. We saw it a couple of times in the conference tournaments this weekend. The win was not in doubt and the leading team pulled up to run the clock out rather than pile on with more points.

Either way, it's not that big of a deal.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 am

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

Good sportsmanship would have the winning team taking its foot of the throttle at least a little bit. We saw it a couple of times in the conference tournaments this weekend. The win was not in doubt and the leading team pulled up to run the clock out rather than pile on with more points.

here is the lie told by the school superintendent:

Legault called the game “an unfortunate situation,” and added that “This is not a reflection of our student body or our athletic program.”

hey, sht happens. if you're not as good as your opponent, you are going to get beat. it doesn't matter how badly.
1 x

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by chucky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am

I am Z wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 am
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/high-schoo ... 55293.html

When is a victory something you don’t take pride in, but something you ought to apologize for? For East Bridgewater (Mass.), the tipping point was an 86-point victory over Madison Park in the first round of a state sectional girls’ basketball tournament.

Blowouts happen all the time in high school sports, though rarely with a near-three-figure point differential. But what prompted East Bridgewater Superintendent of Schools Elizabeth Legault to apologize for the margin of victory was the way in which the East Bridgewater Vikings ran up a lead, going up 24-0 in the first quarter … and then continued to push, long after the outcome was no longer in doubt.

it's not the winning team's fault that the losers were outmatched.

equal opportunity in America....not equal results
It is the state tournament. How could such a bad team make it there ? I would have played the bench in the second half to give them experience.
1 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am

I am Z wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 am
evilconempire wrote:

Legault called the game “an unfortunate situation,” and added that “This is not a reflection of our student body or our athletic program.”

hey, sht happens. if you're not as good as your opponent, you are going to get beat. it doesn't matter how badly.
I don't see a lie. I see an opinion that you apparently disagree with.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

Toshi
Imperial Majesty

Post by Toshi » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am

Looks like the team that scored only 7 points needs to realize that basketball is a sport, a COMPETITION, and they suck. They need to practice more.
1 x
"I love what happened on that ball field this week. The only problem I have with it is he didn't get more of you." - liberaljihad the föggat

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:57 am

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am
I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

feel free to parse.

however, she said it doesn't reflect the athletic program....except that it does.
0 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm

I am Z wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:57 am
evilconempire wrote:
I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

feel free to parse.

however, she said it doesn't reflect the athletic program....except that it does.
I am free to parse, but that was not parsing.

One of the basketball teams in one game blowing out the opponent in that manner reflects on the entire athletic program and student body? Wow! That's quite the broad-brush.
0 x

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:08 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm
I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

feel free to parse.

One of the basketball teams in one game blowing out the opponent in that manner reflects on the entire athletic program and student body? Wow! That's quite the broad-brush.

I didn't say that you had parsed. I said feel free to. (future tense).

now, i'll parse it a bit for you. I said that it did reflect the athletic program. I didn't say the student body whatsoever, did I?

it reflected the athletic program in that they were prepared for much stronger opponents than they faced.
0 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:15 pm

I am Z wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:08 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm
I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

feel free to parse.

I didn't say that you had parsed. I said feel free to. (future tense).

now, i'll parse it a bit for you. I said that it did reflect the athletic program. I didn't say the student body whatsoever, did I?

it reflected the athletic program in that they were prepared for much stronger opponents than they faced.
Okay, then feel free to split hairs.

The statement that you're challenging mentioned both the athletic program and the student body. That is why I included it. I didn't say you had mentioned the student body. The level of preparation is not what the administrator is referring to as not reflecting on the athletic program or the student body. You're clearly confused.
0 x