Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
User avatar
psk836
God-Like
Posts: 10160
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:22 am

Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by psk836 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am

It is not because he is great pals with Putin. In fact if you look in today's Washington Post it is now hyperventilating over our horrible relations with Russia and the dawn of the new Cold War.

The reason Trump is silent on Russian sanctions is because he is in a Catch-22. If he sanctions Russia for meddling in our elections, then the Left will say Trump is acknowledging that Russian meddling won him the election. And if he doesn't sanction the Russians, then the Left will say he is protecting the Russians (despite all the evidence to the contrary).
0 x

User avatar
donttreadonme
Serene Highness
Posts: 9741
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:46 am

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by donttreadonme » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:35 am

Everybody knows why.

Image
1 x

User avatar
Toshi
Imperial Majesty
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by Toshi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 am

Image
1 x
"I love what happened on that ball field this week. The only problem I have with it is he didn't get more of you." - liberaljihad the föggat

User avatar
nolaxride
Global Moderator
Posts: 16254
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by nolaxride » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am

psk836 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am
It is not because he is great pals with Putin. In fact if you look in today's Washington Post it is now hyperventilating over our horrible relations with Russia and the dawn of the new Cold War.

The reason Trump is silent on Russian sanctions is because he is in a Catch-22. If he sanctions Russia for meddling in our elections, then the Left will say Trump is acknowledging that Russian meddling won him the election. And if he doesn't sanction the Russians, then the Left will say he is protecting the Russians (despite all the evidence to the contrary).
Is there any question that Russia meddled in our election? The issue you seem to be conflating with meddling is collusion. That's the Mueller question. And, IMNSHO, who cares what anyone thinks. His job is to protect this country and he's not doing that.
0 x
-- Ignotum per inotius

User avatar
psk836
God-Like
Posts: 10160
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:22 am

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by psk836 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am

nolaxride wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am
psk836 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am
It is not because he is great pals with Putin. In fact if you look in today's Washington Post it is now hyperventilating over our horrible relations with Russia and the dawn of the new Cold War.

The reason Trump is silent on Russian sanctions is because he is in a Catch-22. If he sanctions Russia for meddling in our elections, then the Left will say Trump is acknowledging that Russian meddling won him the election. And if he doesn't sanction the Russians, then the Left will say he is protecting the Russians (despite all the evidence to the contrary).
Is there any question that Russia meddled in our election? The issue you seem to be conflating with meddling is collusion. That's the Mueller question. And, IMNSHO, who cares what anyone thinks. His job is to protect this country and he's not doing that.
The consensus is the meddling was inconsequential. Therefore silence on the sanctions issue is the correct response.
0 x

User avatar
psk836
God-Like
Posts: 10160
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:22 am

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by psk836 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 am

From the left wing Washington Post:

"U.S. defense officials have consistently cited Russia as the most significant strategic threat to the United States, and the primary reason to build up its defense budget.

Gen. John Hyten, who leads U.S. Strategic Command, said in a speech Wednesday that Russia poses “the only existential threat to the country.”

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said that there will be no warming of relations with Russia until it abandons its 2014 annexation of Crimea, something Russia has vowed never to do. The administration has reversed an Obama-era prohibition against providing lethal weapons to the Ukrainian military. In the first major implementation of that decision, it notified Congress on Thursday of plans to sell 210 antitank missiles to Ukraine.

Tillerson has also come down increasingly hard on Russia for failing to control the brutal attacks against civilians by the government of President Bashar al-Assad that it supports in Syria. . . .

Both the United States and Russia have now outlined expansions of their nuclear arsenals, and it remains unclear whether New START, the primary arms-reduction treaty in effect between the two, will remain viable beyond its expiration date of 2021. Each has also charged the other with violations of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty."
0 x

User avatar
nolaxride
Global Moderator
Posts: 16254
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by nolaxride » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 am

psk836 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 am
From the left wing Washington Post:

"U.S. defense officials have consistently cited Russia as the most significant strategic threat to the United States, and the primary reason to build up its defense budget.

Gen. John Hyten, who leads U.S. Strategic Command, said in a speech Wednesday that Russia poses “the only existential threat to the country.”

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said that there will be no warming of relations with Russia until it abandons its 2014 annexation of Crimea, something Russia has vowed never to do. The administration has reversed an Obama-era prohibition against providing lethal weapons to the Ukrainian military. In the first major implementation of that decision, it notified Congress on Thursday of plans to sell 210 antitank missiles to Ukraine.

Tillerson has also come down increasingly hard on Russia for failing to control the brutal attacks against civilians by the government of President Bashar al-Assad that it supports in Syria. . . .

Both the United States and Russia have now outlined expansions of their nuclear arsenals, and it remains unclear whether New START, the primary arms-reduction treaty in effect between the two, will remain viable beyond its expiration date of 2021. Each has also charged the other with violations of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty."
Those same stories appeared on Fox and in the moonie times. And in spite of this, the president refuses to implement the new sanctions. Your point?
0 x
-- Ignotum per inotius

User avatar
nolaxride
Global Moderator
Posts: 16254
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by nolaxride » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

psk836 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am
nolaxride wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am
psk836 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am
It is not because he is great pals with Putin. In fact if you look in today's Washington Post it is now hyperventilating over our horrible relations with Russia and the dawn of the new Cold War.

The reason Trump is silent on Russian sanctions is because he is in a Catch-22. If he sanctions Russia for meddling in our elections, then the Left will say Trump is acknowledging that Russian meddling won him the election. And if he doesn't sanction the Russians, then the Left will say he is protecting the Russians (despite all the evidence to the contrary).
Is there any question that Russia meddled in our election? The issue you seem to be conflating with meddling is collusion. That's the Mueller question. And, IMNSHO, who cares what anyone thinks. His job is to protect this country and he's not doing that.
The consensus is the meddling was inconsequential. Therefore silence on the sanctions issue is the correct response.
And I would suggest it was not inconsequential. Russian meddling was particularly strong in WI, PA, and MI. If Trump fails to win one of those he loses the election.
0 x
-- Ignotum per inotius

User avatar
Toshi
Imperial Majesty
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by Toshi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:30 am

Image
0 x
"I love what happened on that ball field this week. The only problem I have with it is he didn't get more of you." - liberaljihad the föggat

User avatar
Toshi
Imperial Majesty
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Re: Why Trump Is Silent On Russian Sanctions

Post by Toshi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

Russian meddling was particularly strong in WI, PA, and MI.
0 x
"I love what happened on that ball field this week. The only problem I have with it is he didn't get more of you." - liberaljihad the föggat

Post Reply