NRA slams gun-background system flaws it helped create

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

NRA slams gun-background system flaws it helped create

Post by evilconempire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 am

By Jose Pagliery, CNN Investigates

(CNN)On Wednesday, during CNN's town hall with survivors of last week's mass shooting at a high school in South Florida, National Rifle Association representative Dana Loesch lamented the holes in the FBI's National Instant Background Check System, or NICS.

"This madman passed a background check. How was he able to pass a background check? He was able to pass a background check because we have a system that's flawed," Loesch said on stage. "It is not federal law for states to report convictions to the NICS system. It is not federally mandated. That's the big question, and I wish that this network had also covered this more."

In fact, it was the NRA that led the effort to block the federal mandate, by financing and arguing the US Supreme Court case that let states off the hook. The 1997 decision in Printz v. United States threw out part of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, and made it optional for local courts, police departments and states to submit background information on residents.

The Brady Act, passed in 1993, established the federal system that screens firearm purchases at licensed dealers. While the FBI built its high-tech NICS system, local police were tasked with conducting the background checks.

However, the NRA teamed up with local sheriffs in Montana and Arizona to challenge the law, saying local law enforcement shouldn't be forced to work for the feds.

In 1997, the Supreme Court sided with the NRA and Ravalli County Sheriff Jay Printz of Montana. Justice Antonin Scalia wrote the court's opinion, which was largely driven by the concepts of federalism. The Constitution's 10th Amendment limited the federal government power over state and local governments, the court decided.

When the FBI finally got the NICS system up and running in 1998, states submitted criminal and mental health records only voluntarily. Now, decades later, it's still optional.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Re: NRA slams gun-background system flaws it helped create

Post by thelionofthenorth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 am

Did anyone call her out on that at the town hall?
0 x
Stupidity deserves no pity.

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:23 am

thelionofthenorth wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 am
Not that I saw. No one called her out on her saying there were automatic rifles at the time the 2nd Amendment was written either. there was one built in England that didn't work well and the other was a concept that was never built.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 am

More CNN tàærd bullschit. It starts off with a good fact that the system is flawed, then it jumps over to 1997. Loopy and all over the place. Typical CNN liberal crap excuse for journalism.

I'm sure Ly'in reads this stuff like it's fact based.
Last edited by barrysoetoro on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
☪ "May God d*mn the Saudis and America.", brookboy123 (nobrain & dope are fine with this )

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 am

evilconempire wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:23 am
thelionofthenorth wrote:
Not that I saw. No one called her out on her saying there were automatic rifles at the time the 2nd Amendment was written either. there was one built in England that didn't work well and the other was a concept that was never built.
What does that have to do with anything?
0 x
☪ "May God d*mn the Saudis and America.", brookboy123 (nobrain & dope are fine with this )

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by chucky » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 am

evilconempire wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 am

(CNN)On Wednesday, during CNN's town hall with survivors of last week's mass shooting at a high school in South Florida, National Rifle Association representative Dana Loesch lamented the holes in the FBI's National Instant Background Check System, or NICS.

"This madman passed a background check. How was he able to pass a background check? He was able to pass a background check because we have a system that's flawed," Loesch said on stage. "It is not federal law for states to report convictions to the NICS system. It is not federally mandated. That's the big question, and I wish that this network had also covered this more."

In fact, it was the NRA that led the effort to block the federal mandate, by financing and arguing the US Supreme Court case that let states off the hook. The 1997 decision in Printz v. United States threw out part of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, and made it optional for local courts, police departments and states to submit background information on residents.

The Brady Act, passed in 1993, established the federal system that screens firearm purchases at licensed dealers. While the FBI built its high-tech NICS system, local police were tasked with conducting the background checks.

However, the NRA teamed up with local sheriffs in Montana and Arizona to challenge the law, saying local law enforcement shouldn't be forced to work for the feds.

In 1997, the Supreme Court sided with the NRA and Ravalli County Sheriff Jay Printz of Montana. Justice Antonin Scalia wrote the court's opinion, which was largely driven by the concepts of federalism. The Constitution's 10th Amendment limited the federal government power over state and local governments, the court decided.

When the FBI finally got the NICS system up and running in 1998, states submitted criminal and mental health records only voluntarily. Now, decades later, it's still optional.
So it was SCOTUS who ruled that part of the law unconstitutional. You don’t support congress violating th Constitution do you ?
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 am
evilconempire wrote:
thelionofthenorth wrote:
Think about it.
0 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am

chucky wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 am
evilconempire wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 am

So it was SCOTUS who ruled that part of the law unconstitutional. You don’t support congress violating th Constitution do you ?
I think it needs to be revisited. The states reporting criminal and mental health records to the FBI for the background check system should be mandatory.
0 x

barrysoetoro

Post by barrysoetoro » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
thelionofthenorth wrote:
Think about it.
Just say you don't know
1 x

evilconempire

Post by evilconempire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:16 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 am
barrysoetoro wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
thelionofthenorth wrote:
Think about it.
Just say you don't know
Poor dumb BushApologisto.
0 x