Kansas tax cuts produced strong results... yet another liberal talking point debunked

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
barrysoetoro
Get in my Belly!

Kansas tax cuts produced strong results... yet another liberal talking point debunked

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 103186208/

The state legislature’s recent decision to raise income taxes by $1.2 billion will hurt every working Kansan and small business. It will damage the long-term trajectory of our state. It will pummel pocketbooks and discourage job creators. Additionally, the retroactive nature of these regressive taxes will cause a great deal of pain, crippling our state’s economy and putting us at a competitive disadvantage.

Kansans deserve to keep more of their own money. The 2012 income tax cuts did just that. Families had more in their pockets to pay off debt, save for their children’s college or invest in a new home. Business owners were able to reinvest their earnings into their enterprise and local communities.

Kansas saw strong results. Unemployment is down to 3.7%, the lowest in 16 years. The state set a record for new businesses every year since cutting income taxes. The small businesses the tax cuts targeted created 98% of new private sector jobs in our state. Despite these strong results, many blamed our budget challenges on these cuts, ignoring the substantial downturn in global agriculture and energy markets.

Refusing to acknowledge the data, legislators pledge to fix the perceived problem of the “small business tax cut.” But when the time came to cast their votes, they voted for broad-based tax increases on all Kansas workers. Kansas will now have a higher top marginal individual income tax rate than Massachusetts.
0 x
☪ "The Battle Cry of The Moronic......America---Love it or Leave it", brokebackboy, "he is right", evilcommie

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 pm

The state legislature’s recent decision to raise income taxes by $1.2 billion will hurt every working Kansan and small business. It will damage the long-term trajectory of our state. It will pummel pocketbooks and discourage job creators. Additionally, the retroactive nature of these regressive taxes will cause a great deal of pain, crippling our state’s economy and putting us at a competitive disadvantage.

Kansans deserve to keep more of their own money. The 2012 income tax cuts did just that. Families had more in their pockets to pay off debt, save for their children’s college or invest in a new home. Business owners were able to reinvest their earnings into their enterprise and local communities.

Kansas saw strong results. Unemployment is down to 3.7%, the lowest in 16 years. The state set a record for new businesses every year since cutting income taxes. The small businesses the tax cuts targeted created 98% of new private sector jobs in our state. Despite these strong results, many blamed our budget challenges on these cuts, ignoring the substantial downturn in global agriculture and energy markets.

Refusing to acknowledge the data, legislators pledge to fix the perceived problem of the “small business tax cut.” But when the time came to cast their votes, they voted for broad-based tax increases on all Kansas workers. Kansas will now have a higher top marginal individual income tax rate than Massachusetts.
I see you still can't tell the difference between facts and opinions. All of those results came AFTER Kansas raised taxes. I'm not surprised you and the president of the KS chamber of commerce missed that simple fact.
1 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

barrysoetoro
Get in my Belly!

Post by barrysoetoro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 am
barrysoetoro wrote:

I see you still can't tell the difference between facts and opinions. All of those results came AFTER Kansas raised taxes. I'm not surprised you and the president of the KS chamber of commerce missed that simple fact.
nobrain: "I see you still can't tell the difference between facts and opinions"

You're an azz clown.

How did raising taxes grow their economy?
0 x
☪ "The Battle Cry of The Moronic......America---Love it or Leave it", brokebackboy, "he is right", evilcommie

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 pm
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

You're an azz clown.

Simple. The infrastructure business demands, simple stuff like water, sewer, police, fire, an educated workforce, needs to be paid for...

That is a great question, though. I guess that's why Reagan raised taxes and then the economy boomed.

I"m not surprised that you didn't read the other side of the story, about how the Kansas experiment failed. Or about how special interests coopted the tax breaks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 102889398/
This month, the state’s Republican-dominated legislature took the once-unthinkable action of raising taxes. More specifically, lawmakers overrode their Republican governor’s veto and rolled back his signature tax cuts, passed in 2012. The move came after draconian spending cuts and downgrades of the state’s credit rating.

There are many lessons from this fiasco, none more important than the need to be wary of free-lunch promises that sound too good to be true.

Gov. Sam Brownback pitched his tax-cut plan with classic "supply side" economics. Lost revenue from lower rates, he argued, would be made up with surging growth and rising incomes.

That never happened. In 2014, the first year in which the cuts were in effect, revenue from the state’s individual income tax plunged by more than $700 million, a 25% drop. Since then, tax receipts have stagnated at their reduced levels.

The promised revenue from increased business activity and higher wages never materialized. In fact, Kansas’ economy has not responded to this enormous fiscal stimulus in any measurable way. According to the St. Louis Federal Reserve, the state's annual rate of growth in personal income has been stuck in the low single digits since the tax cuts went into effect.

1 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

Antisteroidforce
Majesty

Post by Antisteroidforce » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Facts.

How many black people do each of the breweries employ?
How many woman do each of the breweries employ?
How many transgenders do each of the breweries employ?
How many Latinos do each of the breweries employ?
How many Muslims do each of the breweries employ?
Do each of the breweries offer free healthcare?
Do each of the breweries have gender neutral bathrooms?
Do each of the breweries have a list of banned words so other employees will not be offended?
Do each of the breweries have unions that support Democrat Party principals?
Have each of the breweries removed any statues and/or plaques that may offend someone?
Do each of the breweries have safe spaces for employees to gather so they aren't offended by anything?
0 x

barrysoetoro
Get in my Belly!

Post by barrysoetoro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 pm

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

You're an azz clown.

Simple. The infrastructure business demands, simple stuff like water, sewer, police, fire, an educated workforce, needs to be paid for...

That is a great question, though. I guess that's why Reagan raised taxes and then the economy boomed.

I"m not surprised that you didn't read the other side of the story, about how the Kansas experiment failed. Or about how special interests coopted the tax breaks.

This month, the state’s Republican-dominated legislature took the once-unthinkable action of raising taxes. More specifically, lawmakers overrode their Republican governor’s veto and rolled back his signature tax cuts, passed in 2012. The move came after draconian spending cuts and downgrades of the state’s credit rating.

There are many lessons from this fiasco, none more important than the need to be wary of free-lunch promises that sound too good to be true.

Gov. Sam Brownback pitched his tax-cut plan with classic "supply side" economics. Lost revenue from lower rates, he argued, would be made up with surging growth and rising incomes.

That never happened. In 2014, the first year in which the cuts were in effect, revenue from the state’s individual income tax plunged by more than $700 million, a 25% drop. Since then, tax receipts have stagnated at their reduced levels.

The promised revenue from increased business activity and higher wages never materialized. In fact, Kansas’ economy has not responded to this enormous fiscal stimulus in any measurable way. According to the St. Louis Federal Reserve, the state's annual rate of growth in personal income has been stuck in the low single digits since the tax cuts went into effect.

Oh, I get it. So they only have public sector jobs there. Got it. Let me guess, all them crumbling roads and bridges. You don't know what the hell you're talking about!

Tax cuts always help. You want people to spend their money. I don't get how a communist POS like you can see you own a company and employee people.
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Antisteroidforce wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm
Facts.

How many black people do each of the breweries employ?
How many woman do each of the breweries employ?
How many transgenders do each of the breweries employ?
How many Latinos do each of the breweries employ?
How many Muslims do each of the breweries employ?
Do each of the breweries offer free healthcare?
Do each of the breweries have gender neutral bathrooms?
Do each of the breweries have a list of banned words so other employees will not be offended?
Do each of the breweries have unions that support Democrat Party principals?
Have each of the breweries removed any statues and/or plaques that may offend someone?
Do each of the breweries have safe spaces for employees to gather so they aren't offended by anything?
I'm not sure how to break this too you. Those are questions, not facts.
0 x

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 pm
nolaxride wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm
barrysoetoro wrote:
nolaxride wrote:
barrysoetoro wrote:

You're an azz clown.

Oh, I get it. So they only have public sector jobs there. Got it. Let me guess, all them crumbling roads and bridges. You don't know what the hell you're talking about!

Tax cuts always help. You want people to spend their money. I don't get how a communist POS like you can see you own a company and employee people.
You have a strange relationship with logic.
0 x

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Post by thelionofthenorth » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 pm

I thought it exceptionally weaseling of BDS to omit the name of the author of his channeled op-ed:

happens to be the head of the Kansas CofC, who also happens to be one of the main authors of Brownback's disastrous tax cut plan.
1 x
Stupidity deserves no pity.

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 pm

thelionofthenorth wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 pm
I thought it exceptionally weaseling of BDS to omit the name of the author of his channeled op-ed:

happens to be the head of the Kansas CofC, who also happens to be one of the main authors of Brownback's disastrous tax cut plan.
He also forgot to mention that special interests carved out a huge tax loophole... partnerships, S corporations, and sole proprietorships claimed on individual tax returns were taxed at zero. They paid no state taxes.
1 x