Much ado about nothing. Let's see what you do

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!

When watching sports on television, what do you do?

Sit on my couch or bar stool with my hat on and continue talking
75%
I stop what I'm doing, remove my hat, stop talking, and place my hand over my heart
25%

Total votes: 4

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Re: Much ado about nothing. Let's see what you do

Post by chucky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:42 am

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 am
Let's see who answers honestly
You left out some words. I don't wear a hat indoors. I usually don't turn on a football game until after it starts. No I wouldn't stand for the national anthem if I was at home watching TV nor would I stop talking if I had tuned in early.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 am

chucky wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:42 am
evilconempire wrote:
You left out some words. I don't wear a hat indoors. I usually don't turn on a football game until after it starts. No I wouldn't stand for the national anthem if I was at home watching TV nor would I stop talking if I had tuned in early.
I think I made it abundantly clear that he's conflating two very different events.

1. people at a sports contest have a very long tradition of trotting out the flag and playing the national anthem and out of honor and respect, people stand, salute and many sing along.

2. at home, there is no such tradition that I've ever heard of

for someone who's implying that all the outrage is much ado about nothing, he's sure making a mountain out of said, molehill

:D1
0 x
of course, the term :lo2l: --"people of color" means the same thing as "col0red people"

chucky

Post by chucky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:10 am
psk836 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 am
evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:44 am
psk836 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 am
evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:34 am
psk836 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 am
evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:22 am
psk836 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am
evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:10 am
psk836 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 am
If it is much ado about nothing then why are the players doing it?
The much ado about nothing part is all the snowflakes getting up in arms over it. Did you vote?
No it is not. To suggest our reaction is much ado about nothing posits that the players' protest is the nothing about which we are adoing. I disagree with that premise.
It doesn't. What they are doing is important to them, but the feigned outrage is much ado about nothing as in it doesn't harm the outraged in any way.
And at whom are they directing their "important" message? They are directing their message at their audience, of course. They have an "important" message to convey to us, their fans. And if we were to take it as anything less than "important", then we would be disrespecting the players; some might even suggest such behavior is racist (these days), if one considers the origins of the "important" message. Therefore to suggest that our reaction to their message is "much ado about nothing", by your own logic, is a racist attack on the players.
They aren't protesting the fans. They are protesting gov't. Are you another one that has no idea what exactly they are protesting?

I admire that spin though. It showed some real talent. So did you vote?
I did not say they are protesting the fans. I said they are conveying a message to the fans.
The message is for the gov't.
The message is an "important message", as you said, about how the players feel about the government and country. But that message is for the fans.
It is an important message. The vehicle for conveying that message, the one that's creating all the outrage, is not. The message is definitely for gov't* and for society to help pressure said gov't*.

*Just shorthand. No one get all up in arms offended. :lo2l:
They didn't like the verdict in certain local trials so they make it about race and the country. These athletes would do far worse in another society in a different country. They are quite lucky to be in a country where you can become rich and successful and still freely complain about how bad it is. :)2
1 x
Stephane Charbonnier

chucky

Post by chucky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am

I am Z wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:49 am
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
I think I made it abundantly clear that he's conflating two very different events.

1. people at a sports contest have a very long tradition of trotting out the flag and playing the national anthem and out of honor and respect, people stand, salute and many sing along.

for someone who's implying that all the outrage is much ado about nothing, he's sure making a mountain out of said, molehill

Of course in public things are different. Yup it's an anthill.
1 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am

chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
I made the thus far correct assumption that the context was understood...plus it's always fun to see who can who cannot resist the nit pick.

I was raised that when the NA is playing you stop what you're doing , remove your hat, stop talking, and stand still regardless if it's live, over the television or the radio. I know I wasn't the only one raise that way.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am

I am Z wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

You made it abundantly clear that you want to twist this into something that's irrelevant. Tradition has nothing to do with it and traditions are made to be broken.
0 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

chucky

Post by chucky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 am

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
I made the thus far correct assumption that the context was understood...plus it's always fun to see who can who cannot resist the nit pick.

I was raised that when the NA is playing you stop what you're doing , remove your hat, stop talking, and stand still regardless if it's live, over the television or the radio. I know I wasn't the only one raise that way.
That's great , but then you become an adult and you make your own choices. I don't think it's a big deal either way. That's what makes liberty and free speech great.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:00 pm

chucky wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 am
evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

That's great , but then you become an adult and you make your own choices. I don't think it's a big deal either way. That's what makes liberty and free speech great.
We sure do. If you don't think it's a big deal either way then this thread isn't for you. It's clearly directed at the snowflakes getting outraged over a simple act that infringes on no one's liberty.
0 x

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am
I am Z wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

You made it abundantly clear that you want to twist this into something that's irrelevant. Tradition has nothing to do with it and traditions are made to be broken.

hey, it's still a free country for a bit longer so....feel free to take a knee at home. matter of fact, feel free to get down on both. :D1
1 x
of course, the term :lo2l: --"people of color" means the same thing as "col0red people"

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm

I am Z wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am
I am Z wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

hey, it's still a free country for a bit longer so....feel free to take a knee at home. matter of fact, feel free to get down on both. :D1
Sure is and they can take a knee, you can get outraged, and I can laugh at the outrage. Liberty is a great thing.
0 x