is this display of cotton actually racist?

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
psk836
Imperial Majesty

Re: is this display of cotton actually racist?

Post by psk836 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 am

nolaxride wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am
I am Z wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/hobby-lobb ... 21026.html

Crafts store Hobby Lobby is taking serious heat for a store display that one woman is calling “racist.”

On Thursday, Facebook user Daniell Rider posted a photo to Hobby Lobby’s Facebook page, of a vase of cotton flowers displayed in a Texas store. She captioned it, “This decor is WRONG on SO many levels. There is nothing decorative about raw cotton… A commodity which was gained at the expense of African-American slaves. A little sensitivity goes a long way. PLEASE REMOVE THIS ‘décor.’”

The $29.99 stems (marked down to $15 on the company website) was shared more than 15K times and earned 169K comments, an overwhelming majority of which ridiculed Rider for being “too sensitive” and a few that defended her stance.

cotton.jpg

really? where does this end?

what's next? are cotton sheets and pillow cases / towels and 100% cotton jeans going to be racist, too or is it just the sight of cotton?
You're always going to have a few nuts... on both sides.
You say that every time liberals are called out on their absurdities.
1 x

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am

chucky wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am
evilconempire wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 am
No, it's just one woman expressing her opinion. There are those that will be offended by something as inane as piece of art with cotton on it or someone typing the word "Xian." Some people just need to be offended by anything.
When did "xtian" become " xian" with you ? Did you finally realize your fail of the argument that the "x" is a short hand for " Christ " ? BTW it doesn't offend me. I just pointed out that you do it as a sign of selective religious disrespect.
Yep, I realized the "t" was redundant. Oops.

Yeah, you've told me that you aren't offended by it many times already. You didn't "point out" anything. You expressed why you THINK I do it. You're wrong.
0 x
"AS MUCH AS I HATE PROVEN PEDOPHILES, I would rather have one of them than a democrat!!!" - Illeatyourdates

nolaxride
Global Moderator

Post by nolaxride » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:59 am

psk836 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 am
nolaxride wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am
I am Z wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/hobby-lobb ... 21026.html

Crafts store Hobby Lobby is taking serious heat for a store display that one woman is calling “racist.”

On Thursday, Facebook user Daniell Rider posted a photo to Hobby Lobby’s Facebook page, of a vase of cotton flowers displayed in a Texas store. She captioned it, “This decor is WRONG on SO many levels. There is nothing decorative about raw cotton… A commodity which was gained at the expense of African-American slaves. A little sensitivity goes a long way. PLEASE REMOVE THIS ‘décor.’”

The $29.99 stems (marked down to $15 on the company website) was shared more than 15K times and earned 169K comments, an overwhelming majority of which ridiculed Rider for being “too sensitive” and a few that defended her stance.

cotton.jpg

really? where does this end?

what's next? are cotton sheets and pillow cases / towels and 100% cotton jeans going to be racist, too or is it just the sight of cotton?
You're always going to have a few nuts... on both sides.
You say that every time liberals are called out on their absurdities.
I also say that every time conservatives are called out on the absurdities... would you like to review a few of those? Should we start with the rapture this Saturday?
0 x
— "It will be revealed in the coming months that he was in fact born in Kenya" - 17 Nov 2016zxx

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 am

evilconempire wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
No, it's just one woman expressing her opinion. There are those that will be offended by something as inane as piece of art with cotton on it or someone typing the word "Xian." Some people just need to be offended by anything.
When did "xtian" become " xian" with you ? Did you finally realize your fail of the argument that the "x" is a short hand for " Christ " ? BTW it doesn't offend me. I just pointed out that you do it as a sign of selective religious disrespect.

Yeah, you've told me that you aren't offended by it many times already. You didn't "point out" anything. You expressed why you THINK I do it. You're wrong.
Sure I am. Why do you claim you do it ? This should be interesting.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 am

chucky wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 am
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

As I have told you before, it's just shorthand like "Dem, Rep, gov't, con, lib, etc..." Not really all that interesting. Have fun with another one of your pointless rabbit holes. I've gone as far down it as I'm going.
0 x
"AS MUCH AS I HATE PROVEN PEDOPHILES, I would rather have one of them than a democrat!!!" - Illeatyourdates

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am

evilconempire wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 am
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

As I have told you before, it's just shorthand like "Dem, Rep, gov't, con, lib, etc..." Not really all that interesting. Have fun with another one of your pointless rabbit holes. I've gone as far down it as I'm going.
You lack credibility on this since you use it in a disparaging way almost every time similar to " RWNJ" . No rabbit hole just straight up truth.
1 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

Falstaff2
Gentry

Post by Falstaff2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 am

Being persecuted is such a personally gratifying situation these days for the left and right fringes and the opposing fringes are all too eager to oblige each other with petty offenses that can be considered persecution. It's just a lot of fun for all involved and imagine how profitable it could be for Hobby Lobby.

99.9% of those displaying cotton stalks for decorations and 99.9% of those objecting to them being displayed have never been close enough to a field of cotton or a bale of cotton to hit it with a rock. I spent a day chopping cotton long ago and a couple of days picking cotton and don't feel personally offended by a bouquet of cotton bowls but feel certain that the decorator is clueless of how difficult life was for anyone so unfortunate as to have no opportunities beyond life in cotton fields.
0 x

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:02 pm

chucky wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am
evilconempire wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 am
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

You lack credibility on this since you use it in a disparaging way almost every time similar to " RWNJ" . No rabbit hole just straight up truth.
nailed it.
0 x
long before there was a president Trump, I insisted on saying Merry Christmas!

:angel11: