GOP senator wants to block states from setting up their own single-payer systems

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

GOP senator wants to block states from setting up their own single-payer systems

Post by evilconempire » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:10 pm

by Kimberly Leonard | Sep 18, 2017

Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., said he wants to ban states from setting up a government-run healthcare system in a GOP bill to overhaul Obamacare that would allow states to set up their healthcare systems.

"I think a single-payer system is a bad idea," Kennedy said Monday. "I think if you give a big chunk of money to California they're going to go set up a single-payer system run by the state and then come back and say, 'We don't have enough money, we need more.' I think the only way we are going to solve the healthcare problem in America is through the private sector."

The GOP bill would divert funding from Obamacare to states in the form of block grants. It was introduced by GOP Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Dean Heller of Nevada and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin.

Kennedy defended his position to reporters who asked why he was in favor of handing decisions to states but not allowing them to set up a healthcare system funded and run by the state and federal government.

"I don't think states should have the authority to take money from the American taxpayer and set up a single-payer system," Kennedy said. "Some people think that's inconsistent with the idea of flexibility, but that's what the United States Congress is for. I very much believe in flexibility, and I know governors want flexibility, but it's our job to make sure that money is properly spent. I'm impressed by the fact that so many governors have signed on to this idea, on the other hand I've worked for two governors; you can generally get governors to sign on to things when you give them gobs of money."

--------------

"STATES' RIGHTS!!! STATES' RIGHTS!!! Oh wait, not on this."
0 x
"AS MUCH AS I HATE PROVEN PEDOPHILES, I would rather have one of them than a democrat!!!" - Illeatyourdates

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:54 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., said he wants to ban states from setting up a government-run healthcare system in a GOP bill to overhaul Obamacare that would allow states to set up their healthcare systems.

"I think a single-payer system is a bad idea," Kennedy said Monday. "I think if you give a big chunk of money to California they're going to go set up a single-payer system run by the state and then come back and say, 'We don't have enough money, we need more.' I think the only way we are going to solve the healthcare problem in America is through the private sector."

The GOP bill would divert funding from Obamacare to states in the form of block grants. It was introduced by GOP Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Dean Heller of Nevada and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin.

Kennedy defended his position to reporters who asked why he was in favor of handing decisions to states but not allowing them to set up a healthcare system funded and run by the state and federal government.

"I don't think states should have the authority to take money from the American taxpayer and set up a single-payer system," Kennedy said. "Some people think that's inconsistent with the idea of flexibility, but that's what the United States Congress is for. I very much believe in flexibility, and I know governors want flexibility, but it's our job to make sure that money is properly spent. I'm impressed by the fact that so many governors have signed on to this idea, on the other hand I've worked for two governors; you can generally get governors to sign on to things when you give them gobs of money."

--------------

I don't have any problem at all with states setting up their own healthcare single payer systems.

but why on earth would they want money from the rest of the country's taxpayers to do it?
0 x
long before there was a president Trump, I insisted on saying Merry Christmas!

:angel11:

barrysoetoro
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm

evilconempire wrote:

--------------

Single-payer is a bad idea. Do you agree with all the stupid crap California does?
0 x
☪ "The Battle Cry of The Moronic..........America---Love it or Leave it", brokebackboy, America hating POS

barrysoetoro
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Post by barrysoetoro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 pm

I am Z wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:54 pm
evilconempire wrote:

--------------

I don't have any problem at all with states setting up their own healthcare single payer systems.

but why on earth would they want money from the rest of the country's taxpayers to do it?
Because evilcommie is a liberal. And liberals always want others to pay for it.
1 x
☪ "The Battle Cry of The Moronic..........America---Love it or Leave it", brokebackboy, America hating POS

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:16 pm

barrysoetoro wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 pm
I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

--------------

Because evilcommie is a liberal. And liberals always want others to pay for it.

nahhhh.......he's not really like that, is he?

:)2
0 x
long before there was a president Trump, I insisted on saying Merry Christmas!

:angel11:

DallasDimeBags
Heir Presumptive

Post by DallasDimeBags » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm

evilconempire wrote:

--------------

""I think if you give a big chunk of money to California they're going to go set up a single-payer system run by the state and then come back and say, 'We don't have enough money, we need more.' "

A distinct possibility IMNSHO. Do you disagree?
0 x

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am

I am Z wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

--------------

This GOP Senator does. Why are we sending money at all then?
0 x
"AS MUCH AS I HATE PROVEN PEDOPHILES, I would rather have one of them than a democrat!!!" - Illeatyourdates

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 am

barrysoetoro wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm
evilconempire wrote:

--------------

Single-payer is a bad idea. Do you agree with all the stupid crap California does?
The for-profit model does not work. We already know that single-payer does. Why do you want to keep trying something we know doesn't work?
0 x

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 am

DallasDimeBags wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm
evilconempire wrote:

--------------

""I think if you give a big chunk of money to California they're going to go set up a single-payer system run by the state and then come back and say, 'We don't have enough money, we need more.' "

A possibility with each an every state...even with block grants.
0 x

clusterchuck
Heir Presumptive

Post by clusterchuck » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 am

DallasDimeBags wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm
evilconempire wrote:

--------------

If the enumerated powers of the federal government = establishing a national infrastructure such as interstate highways then it stands to reason a health care system is part of that national infrastructure.

The mutation of healthcare into a business supporting big pharma and other high paying private sector jobs is, perhaps, the largest impediment to meaningful healthcare reform. Doctors gravitating to CEO compensation and big pharma churning profits for "investors" is an affront to millions in need of care.

Single payer is the inevitable end game. It should and will happen. The REAL problem is federal government mismanagement of the peoples money.

IMO
0 x