black college students offended at college president's table centerpiece

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
chucky
Rock Star

Re: black college students offended at college president's table centerpiece

Post by chucky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 am

brookboy123 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 am
chucky wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 am
I am Z wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 am
https://www.yahoo.com/news/college-pres ... 03994.html

the centerpiece contained cotton stalks.

apparently, that's offensive to people who have never picked cotton. as if all cotton pickers were former slaves.

The president of Lipscomb University invited African American students over to his Nashville home for dinner Friday, where he had cotton stalks as centerpieces. After the students deemed the tableware offensive, he issued an apology.

President L. Randolph Lowry, who is white, invited black students to his home for dinner to discuss their experiences at Lipscomb, according to a Facebook post. The students noticed his dinner table was laden with cotton stalks, which offended them, according to the post. Lowry apologized through a campus-wide email.

"As we arrived to the president's home and proceeded to go in we seen cotton as the center pieces," a student identified as Nakayla Yvonne wrote under a picture she took of the centerpiece on Instagram. "We also stood and ate dinner, there were no seats to sit in and it felt very uncomfortable.

now that seems a bit strange.

"We were very offended, and also the meals that were provided resembled many "black meals" they had mac n cheese, collard greens, corn bread etc. The night before Latinos also had dinner at his house and they had tacos. They also DIDN'T have the center piece that we HAD tonight."

that kind of meal is now, offensive?

I would have liked the previous meal very much, also.

I like that kind of food very much!
Funny stuff. Some people need to be offended all the time.
My guess is that the college president, or someone else, KNEW EXACTLY what they were doing.......remember, this is the USA.

Maybe the president should have shown up for the dinner in black-face.

lol.
They could have sung " mammy" too.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

brookboy123
Majesty

Post by brookboy123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am

chucky wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 am
brookboy123 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

apparently, that's offensive to people who have never picked cotton. as if all cotton pickers were former slaves.

The president of Lipscomb University invited African American students over to his Nashville home for dinner Friday, where he had cotton stalks as centerpieces. After the students deemed the tableware offensive, he issued an apology.

President L. Randolph Lowry, who is white, invited black students to his home for dinner to discuss their experiences at Lipscomb, according to a Facebook post. The students noticed his dinner table was laden with cotton stalks, which offended them, according to the post. Lowry apologized through a campus-wide email.

"As we arrived to the president's home and proceeded to go in we seen cotton as the center pieces," a student identified as Nakayla Yvonne wrote under a picture she took of the centerpiece on Instagram. "We also stood and ate dinner, there were no seats to sit in and it felt very uncomfortable.

"We were very offended, and also the meals that were provided resembled many "black meals" they had mac n cheese, collard greens, corn bread etc. The night before Latinos also had dinner at his house and they had tacos. They also DIDN'T have the center piece that we HAD tonight."

My guess is that the college president, or someone else, KNEW EXACTLY what they were doing.......remember, this is the USA.

lol.
Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIaj7FNHnjQ
0 x

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am

brookboy123 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am
chucky wrote:
brookboy123 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

lol.
Indeed.

Al Jolson was a huge star in the 1920s . For some reason people liked seeing him in "black face" back then.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

brookboy123
Majesty

Post by brookboy123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:25 am

chucky wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am
brookboy123 wrote:
chucky wrote:
brookboy123 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

lol.
Indeed.

Al Jolson was a huge star in the 1920s . For some reason people liked seeing him in "black face" back then.
Imagine, a jewwwww-boy mimicking a "schvartze."

I knew black face was a bit "off," and maybe ridiculous, as a child.

it reminded me of the black actors who would give that wide-eyed, "feet-don't-feel-me-now" look on the Three Stooges.

1 x

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 am

brookboy123 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:25 am
chucky wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am
brookboy123 wrote:
chucky wrote:
brookboy123 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

lol.
Indeed.

Imagine, a jewwwww-boy mimicking a "schvartze."

I knew black face was a bit "off," and maybe ridiculous, as a child.

it reminded me of the black actors who would give that wide-eyed, "feet-don't-feel-me-now" look on the Three Stooges.

I remember as a young child asking my parents why would he do something so stupid? My grandmother explained it was real popular. I never got it.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier