what "discipline" should be meted out for 5 Iowa (nawthen) students who dressed in KKK

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
Apple1
Nobility

Re: what "discipline" should be meted out for 5 Iowa (nawthen) students who dressed in KKK

Post by Apple1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 pm

chucky wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:25 pm
I am Z wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:37 pm
outfits..........not on school property........nothing representing the school or football team......

and according to the photo shown, no burning cross or confederate flag, either.

what is appropriate punishment?

kkk.jpg

A high school in Creston, Iowa, said Wednesday it has disciplined students who appeared in a viral photo that showed them wearing white hoods similar to Ku Klux Klan (KKK) and waving a Confederate flag next to a burning cross, according to reports.

Among the five students seen in the photo, at least one of them appeared to be armed with a rifle. Principal Bill Messerole of Creston Community High School confirmed all the students in the photo were disciplined after the school learned about the photo early Wednesday morning.

International Business Times could not find the post where the students would have shared the photo. However, media outlets and social media users have shared the screenshot of the image.

Messerole said the photo was not taken on school grounds. The names of the students in the photo have not been released yet and the school also refused to comment on what punishment the students received, citing the school’s confidentiality policy, according to San Francisco Chronicle.
None. A public school should have no right to restrict a person's 1st Amendment rights , or punish them for exercising those rights , when they are not attending school or a school sponsored function.
With the advent of social media, I'm afraid that has changed. Once you make yourself public, you are culpable. IMO
0 x
Did you mean: airbags

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Re: what "discipline" should be meted out for 5 Iowa (nawthen) students who dressed in KKK

Post by chucky » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Apple1 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 pm
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:
outfits..........not on school property........nothing representing the school or football team......

kkk.jpg

A high school in Creston, Iowa, said Wednesday it has disciplined students who appeared in a viral photo that showed them wearing white hoods similar to Ku Klux Klan (KKK) and waving a Confederate flag next to a burning cross, according to reports.

Among the five students seen in the photo, at least one of them appeared to be armed with a rifle. Principal Bill Messerole of Creston Community High School confirmed all the students in the photo were disciplined after the school learned about the photo early Wednesday morning.

International Business Times could not find the post where the students would have shared the photo. However, media outlets and social media users have shared the screenshot of the image.

Messerole said the photo was not taken on school grounds. The names of the students in the photo have not been released yet and the school also refused to comment on what punishment the students received, citing the school’s confidentiality policy, according to San Francisco Chronicle.
None. A public school should have no right to restrict a person's 1st Amendment rights , or punish them for exercising those rights , when they are not attending school or a school sponsored function.
With the advent of social media, I'm afraid that has changed. Once you make yourself public, you are culpable. IMO
It isn't a crime to express those views or dress that way out of school so the school should have no right to restrict an individual's first amendment rights. They are not the speech police . The students should sue the district.
1 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Post by thelionofthenorth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Apple1 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:26 pm

They posted their pictures on social media. How stupid is that? It became public and the school had to respond.
It is said that you could take the southern two tiers of counties in Iowa, annex them to Missouri, and raise the IQs of BOTH states by ten points.
0 x
Stupidity deserves no pity.

stuporstitionist
Majesty

Post by stuporstitionist » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 am

chucky wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm
Apple1 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

kkk.jpg

It isn't a crime to express those views or dress that way out of school so the school should have no right to restrict an individual's first amendment rights. They are not the speech police . The students should sue the district.
Their actions couldn't possibly be seen as disruptive to the school's learning environment, right?
Their actions couldn't possibly be seen as a threat to the few black students at the school, right? After all, wearing KKK outfits, carrying a confederate flag, burning a cross and carrying a rifle is just good, clean fun.
1 x
Remember: the Russians believed that the best way to damage America was help elect Donald Trump.

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 am

thelionofthenorth wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:11 pm
Apple1 wrote:

They posted their pictures on social media. How stupid is that? It became public and the school had to respond.
It is said that you could take the southern two tiers of counties in Iowa, annex them to Missouri, and raise the IQs of BOTH states by ten points.

there's that well known, oft-expressed liberal condescension regarding the North's perceived intellectual superiority.
0 x
if you don't follow the 7 principles of Kwanzaa, you're a racist!

“matunda ya kwanza”

I still like "Hakuna Matata

:flycarpet:

evilconempire
Somebody please hep me I been hypmotized

Post by evilconempire » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:04 am

I am Z wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 am
thelionofthenorth wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:11 pm
Apple1 wrote:

there's that well known, oft-expressed liberal condescension regarding the North's perceived intellectual superiority.
1 x
How sad that your Mother didn't have an abortion before she brought such an abomination as the likes of you into this world. - Aluannie :prech:

chucky

Post by chucky » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 pm

stuporstitionist wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 am
chucky wrote:
Apple1 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

kkk.jpg

Their actions couldn't possibly be seen as disruptive to the school's learning environment, right?
Their actions couldn't possibly be seen as a threat to the few black students at the school, right? After all, wearing KKK outfits, carrying a confederate flag, burning a cross and carrying a rifle is just good, clean fun.
It is protected speech under the constitution. It's the price we pay for liberty.
1 x
Stephane Charbonnier

I am Z
Global Moderator

Post by I am Z » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:15 pm

chucky wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 pm
stuporstitionist wrote:
chucky wrote:
Apple1 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

kkk.jpg

It is protected speech under the constitution. It's the price we pay for liberty.

I don't like it but you're correct.

those that want to criminalize it don't understand the constitution that we live under.
0 x
if you don't follow the 7 principles of Kwanzaa, you're a racist!

“matunda ya kwanza”

I still like "Hakuna Matata

:flycarpet:

chucky

Post by chucky » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm

I am Z wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:15 pm
chucky wrote:
stuporstitionist wrote:
chucky wrote:
Apple1 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

kkk.jpg

those that want to criminalize it don't understand the constitution that we live under.
It is a very bad practice to allow schools to tell parents how to raise their children or what their children are allowed to do outside school. This is how the state could indoctrinate children.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

stuporstitionist
Majesty

Post by stuporstitionist » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:39 pm

chucky wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm
I am Z wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:15 pm
chucky wrote:
stuporstitionist wrote:
chucky wrote:
Apple1 wrote:
chucky wrote:
I am Z wrote:

kkk.jpg

It is a very bad practice to allow schools to tell parents how to raise their children or what their children are allowed to do outside school. This is how the state could indoctrinate children.
Do you think this could inflame racial tensions at the school ?
0 x
Remember: the Russians believed that the best way to damage America was help elect Donald Trump.