Fox News Fires Bob Beckel Over Alleged Racist Remark

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Fox on this. He was one of the very few Democrats on their network and it was good to hear an alternative POV. Besides the guy was funny.

David Moye,HuffPost 2 hours 21 minutes ago
Reactions Sign in to like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

Fox News announced on Friday it has terminated Bob Beckel, co-host of “The Five.”

The network released this statement to Variety: “Bob Beckel was terminated today for making an insensitive remark to an African-American employee.”

Beckel’s comment has not yet been made public, but TheWrap is reporting that Fox News’ human resources department learned of the incident on Tuesday evening.

After a “thorough” 48-hour investigation, network officials determined Beckel had to go immediately, an unnamed source told TheWrap.

The comments reportedly happened off the air, but Beckel has a long history of making offensive on-air statements since coming to Fox News in 2000.

In July, 2014, he used the racial slur “Chinamen” on live TV, which caused his co-workers to gasp. In January of the same year, Beckel told viewers all Nigerians are scam artists and that Iranians threaten to feed their children to dogs.

He’s also made offensive remarks about women. Also in 2014, he called then-Bachelorette Andi Dorfman “a slut” because she had sex with a man she didn’t end up marrying.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Fri May 19, 2017 2:10 pm

"I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Fox on this. He was one of the very few Democrats on their network and it was good to hear an alternative POV. Besides the guy was funny."

What are you disagreeing with them about? Your comment reads as if they said he wasn't a Democrat that gave an alternative pov, but it would seem that you're trying to disagree with the firing. If it's the latter then I have to ask, how can you disagree with it when you don't know what he said?
0 x
"AS MUCH AS I HATE PROVEN PEDOPHILES, I would rather have one of them than a democrat!!!" - Illeatyourdates

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:10 pm
"I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Fox on this. He was one of the very few Democrats on their network and it was good to hear an alternative POV. Besides the guy was funny."

What are you disagreeing with them about? Your comment reads as if they said he wasn't a Democrat that gave an alternative pov, but it would seem that you're trying to disagree with the firing. If it's the latter then I have to ask, how can you disagree with it when you don't know what he said?
Seriously you don't know what I am disagreeing with ? The headline is a big clue. I don't care what he said in private. I believe in free speech .
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Fri May 19, 2017 2:21 pm

chucky wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm
evilconempire wrote:

Seriously you don't know what I am disagreeing with ? The headline is a big clue. I don't care what he said in private. I believe in free speech .
I think I do, but it's not what you wrote. If he said it at work to another employee while on company time that's not considered "in private." Free speech protects you from the gov't silencing not from the consequences of saying something inappropriate at work on company time.
0 x
"AS MUCH AS I HATE PROVEN PEDOPHILES, I would rather have one of them than a democrat!!!" - Illeatyourdates

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Fri May 19, 2017 2:29 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:21 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

I think I do, but it's not what you wrote. If he said it at work to another employee while on company time that's not considered "in private." Free speech protects you from the gov't silencing not from the consequences of saying something inappropriate at work on company time.
Big deal he may have said something offensive in a private conversation , not on the air. You shouldn't lose your job over it. Thin skinned PC people need to get a life and stop trying to destroy others for expressing their ideas.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
― George Orwell
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Fri May 19, 2017 2:32 pm

chucky wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:29 pm
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

Big deal he may have said something offensive in a private conversation , not on the air. You shouldn't lose your job over it. Thin skinned PC people need to get a life and stop trying to destroy others for expressing their ideas.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
― George Orwell
You don't even know what he said. lol There is an expectation of professionalism in the office. A company is well within its rights to fire people that can't maintain such a simple standard. I highly doubt that Beckel, already in the twilight of his career, has been destroyed by being fired at FNC. lol
0 x

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Fri May 19, 2017 2:39 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:32 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

― George Orwell
You don't even know what he said. lol There is an expectation of professionalism in the office. A company is well within its rights to fire people that can't maintain such a simple standard. I highly doubt that Beckel, already in the twilight of his career, has been destroyed by being fired at FNC. lol
He was out of action for a while due to back surgery, he had just come back. He probaly needed the job. It doesn't matter to me what he said off the air. If he threatened any one with violence he could be arrested. If he slandered anyone or sexually harrased them they could sue him. Otherwise I'm OK with what he said. That's what believing in liberty is all about.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 pm

chucky wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:39 pm
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

― George Orwell
He was out of action for a while due to back surgery, he had just come back. He probaly needed the job. It doesn't matter to me what he said off the air. If he threatened any one with violence he could be arrested. If he slandered anyone or sexually harrased them they could sue him. Otherwise I'm OK with what he said. That's what believing in liberty is all about.
LOL You have no idea if he needs the job or not. He hasn't been destroyed.

I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing so I'm going to assume you're once again taking a position that you don't actually hold. There's no way that you believe that someone that doesn't have an "on air" job can say whatever they want at work without being fired. An employer has the right to fire someone that disrupts the workplace. Liberty doesn't mean chaos, which is what you're arguing for.
0 x

chucky
Rock Star

Post by chucky » Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 pm

evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

― George Orwell

I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing so I'm going to assume you're once again taking a position that you don't actually hold. There's no way that you believe that someone that doesn't have an "on air" job can say whatever they want at work without being fired. An employer has the right to fire someone that disrupts the workplace. Liberty doesn't mean chaos, which is what you're arguing for.
Unlike some I side with individuals over corporations when it comes to free speech and liberty. There is nothing chaotic about an individual having a right to his opinons while working for a corporation. It use to be different before Political Correctness and the Facebook twitter generation.
0 x
Stephane Charbonnier

evilconempire
Get in my Belly!

Post by evilconempire » Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 pm

chucky wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 pm
evilconempire wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 pm
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:
chucky wrote:
evilconempire wrote:

― George Orwell

Unlike some I side with individuals over corporations when it comes to free speech and liberty. There is nothing chaotic about an individual having a right to his opinons while working for a corporation. It use to be different before Political Correctness and the Facebook twitter generation.
There is no way you actually believe what you're saying. There is definitely something chaotic about expressing any opinion in the workplace. Telling someone that you are going to leave the office because they are black shows a lack of professionalism worthy of termination if the employer should choose to. All his free speech and liberty is still intact and he hasn't been destroyed.
0 x