did Tesla CEO violate U.S. labor laws with recent tweet?

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
I am Z
Global Moderator

did Tesla CEO violate U.S. labor laws with recent tweet?

Post by I am Z » Thu May 24, 2018 5:18 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon ... 00779.html

rut roh. ---

When Elon Musk had a twitter meltdown a few days ago in response to bad press

When Elon Musk had a twitter meltdown a few days ago in response to bad press about Tesla factory safety, he may have actually said something illegal. According to Bloomberg, the United Auto Workers union is asking a federal labor board to investigate a tweet by Musk that could be interpreted as threatening to take away stock options if employees join a union. It's illegal for an employer to threaten retaliation for organizing.

According to Tesla, said Bloomberg, the tweet was meant to point out that members of the union who work for other automakers don't receive stock options. Former National Labor Relations Board chair Wilma Liebman said that the tweet could be interpreted differently, however. "The employee is going to hear it as, 'If I vote to unionize, stock options will no longer be an option,'" she told Bloomberg.
Bloomberg This article originally appeared on Engadget.
0 x
I heard that there is some obscure "law" called collusion. I haven't found it on the books but I bet it's real!
:flycarpet:

chucky
Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla

Re: did Tesla CEO violate U.S. labor laws with recent tweet?

Post by chucky » Thu May 24, 2018 5:38 pm

I am Z wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:18 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon ... 00779.html

rut roh. ---

When Elon Musk had a twitter meltdown a few days ago in response to bad press

When Elon Musk had a twitter meltdown a few days ago in response to bad press about Tesla factory safety, he may have actually said something illegal. According to Bloomberg, the United Auto Workers union is asking a federal labor board to investigate a tweet by Musk that could be interpreted as threatening to take away stock options if employees join a union. It's illegal for an employer to threaten retaliation for organizing.

According to Tesla, said Bloomberg, the tweet was meant to point out that members of the union who work for other automakers don't receive stock options. Former National Labor Relations Board chair Wilma Liebman said that the tweet could be interpreted differently, however. "The employee is going to hear it as, 'If I vote to unionize, stock options will no longer be an option,'" she told Bloomberg.
Bloomberg This article originally appeared on Engadget.
Kind of a stretch. What he was saying is if the UAW came in the increased cost of labor would preclude him from giving stock options. Those options may not be worth anything anyway if he doesn’t get Tesla’s act together real soon.
0 x
"I’d rather die standing up than live on my knees."
Stephane Charbonnier