As Irma Nears, Florida Attorney General Battles Price Gouging

Political debate. Welcome Yahoo Message Board exiles and everybody else !!
illeatyourdates2
Rock Star

Post by illeatyourdates2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 am

“I will shame them. I will go all over TV and tell everyone who they are and not to shop in their stores.”By Ellysa Chenery
on September 9, 2017 at 12:49pm
Share on Facebook Tweet Email Print

As Floridians evacuate before Hurricane Irma makes landfall, they have reported facing soaring prices for essentials needed during disasters, like bottled water and hotel rooms.

But Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi has made it clear she will invoke whatever punishments she can against those who are caught gouging prices.

She told Fox News’ Neil Cavuto on Friday that in addition to making guilty businesses pay financial penalties, she will ensure they are publicly shamed.

“Sadly, I can’t put them in jail. It’s civil penalties,” she said. “But you know what? I will shame them. I will go all over TV and tell everyone who they are and not to shop in their stores.”

“I’ve been doing that, and it’s so interesting how fast I can get a CEO to do that when I start shaming them,” she added.

She said businesses should be ashamed of themselves if they raise prices of essential goods during disasters, when people need them the most.

“Shame on you,” Bondi said. “If you’re trying to make an extra buck when our Floridians need essential commodities. That’s horrible.”

Despite the reported instances of price gouging on essential goods, Bondi explained many airlines have been going above and beyond to help people get out of Florida.

A complaint against Delta airlines for drastically raising the price of a flight departing from Florida received significant attention on social media, but what seemed like price gouging was actually an error, which Delta has now corrected.

Bondi said that the airlines have done an exemplary job during the crisis. And, in case there is an error, she said she will make sure to fix it.

“They’ve done everything possible to help us,” she said of the airlines. “I have them all on speed dial, so if someone has a problem and calls my hotline, we get that fixed.”

Still, Bondi’s office has received thousands of complaints regarding price gouging that is taking place across the state.

Businesses who take advantage of desperate customers may be dealt a maximum of $25,000 per day.

Bondi revealed she was originally focusing on stores that were raising the prices of their bottled water, but now, she said she is also pinpointing hotels that are raising the cost of life-saving hotel rooms.

WATCH:

https://www.westernjournalism.com/as-ir ... tyalliance

;)2
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:51 am

Im not a fan of the term "price gouging"

If hotel rooms were $150, I might be tempted to get two or three adjoining rooms so we could have spacious accomodations.

If the rooms are $350 I'll get one room and leave the other two rooms for others

Btw are there any hotel rooms left in Florida anyway? No

:cash:
0 x
Nemo me impune lacessit

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Post by thelionofthenorth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 pm

So tell me again how Cons supposedly favor free-market pricing and laissez-faire economics.
0 x
Stupidity deserves no pity.

brookboy123
Heir Apparent

Post by brookboy123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:35 pm

illeatyourdates2 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 am

“I will shame them. I will go all over TV and tell everyone who they are and not to shop in their stores.”By Ellysa Chenery

As Floridians evacuate before Hurricane Irma makes landfall, they have reported facing soaring prices for essentials needed during disasters, like bottled water and hotel rooms.

But Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi has made it clear she will invoke whatever punishments she can against those who are caught gouging prices.

She told Fox News’ Neil Cavuto on Friday that in addition to making guilty businesses pay financial penalties, she will ensure they are publicly shamed.

“Sadly, I can’t put them in jail. It’s civil penalties,” she said. “But you know what? I will shame them. I will go all over TV and tell everyone who they are and not to shop in their stores.”

“I’ve been doing that, and it’s so interesting how fast I can get a CEO to do that when I start shaming them,” she added.

She said businesses should be ashamed of themselves if they raise prices of essential goods during disasters, when people need them the most.

“Shame on you,” Bondi said. “If you’re trying to make an extra buck when our Floridians need essential commodities. That’s horrible.”

Despite the reported instances of price gouging on essential goods, Bondi explained many airlines have been going above and beyond to help people get out of Florida.

A complaint against Delta airlines for drastically raising the price of a flight departing from Florida received significant attention on social media, but what seemed like price gouging was actually an error, which Delta has now corrected.

Bondi said that the airlines have done an exemplary job during the crisis. And, in case there is an error, she said she will make sure to fix it.

“They’ve done everything possible to help us,” she said of the airlines. “I have them all on speed dial, so if someone has a problem and calls my hotline, we get that fixed.”

Still, Bondi’s office has received thousands of complaints regarding price gouging that is taking place across the state.

Businesses who take advantage of desperate customers may be dealt a maximum of $25,000 per day.

Bondi revealed she was originally focusing on stores that were raising the prices of their bottled water, but now, she said she is also pinpointing hotels that are raising the cost of life-saving hotel rooms.

WATCH:

;)2
Price gougers are just a small step above filthy savages who loot during a crisis.

A special southern Italian prayer for price gougers and looters.
0 x

thelionofthenorth
Global Moderator

Post by thelionofthenorth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Looters are just a little more free-lance, that's all.
0 x
Stupidity deserves no pity.

DallasDimeBags
Heir Presumptive

Post by DallasDimeBags » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:44 pm

illeatyourdates2 wrote:

WATCH:

;)2
Low life pieces of excrement is what price gougers are. I hope people remember who these businesses are and when things return back to whatever is going to pass for normal, that these same people who are getting price gouged keep that in mind when they choose who to do business with.
0 x

brookboy123
Heir Apparent

Post by brookboy123 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:15 am

DallasDimeBags wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:44 pm
illeatyourdates2 wrote:

WATCH:

;)2
Low life pieces of excrement is what price gougers are. I hope people remember who these businesses are and when things return back to whatever is going to pass for normal, that these same people who are getting price gouged keep that in mind when they choose who to do business with.
yessiree.......price gougers are a tiny step above the savages who loot during and after a disaster.
0 x

Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:07 am

If she really is concerned about "gouging" maybe she should find out why a smoked turkey leg is $11 at Disney

:violent1:
0 x
Nemo me impune lacessit